Thread: The Bobbin - Official Newsletter of Durban Fly Tyers

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Default The Bobbin - Official Newsletter of Durban Fly Tyers

Hi Guys...

I was going through some old stuff and came across the very first edition of The Bobbin - the official newsletter of Durban Fly Tyers (DFT). Not sure if the club is still going as I have not been in Durban for a while, or if the newsletter is still distributed. Anyways, if not, then the very first edition may interest some of the old members for posterity purposes.

The newsletter full logo unfortunately does not come across clearly in the scan. I remember sitting with an actual R2.00 Indian bobbin and trying to copy the shape and shading on my Mac (using Aldus Freehand in those days). Finally, I had the right proportions that finally became part of the logo. "The Bobbin" font is Park Avenue, which has a fine thread attaching each of the letters. Sadly, the original logo is lost with old stiffy disks.

The four page A4 sized newsletter was compiled using QuarkXpress, printed, hand folded, individually inserted into envelopes and posted to all members and contributors. I had many years of joy with DFT and putting the newsletters together as the first editor. It also resulted in me meeting tons of wonderful people like Hoosen Bobat, Jack Blackman, Kevin Cole, Allen O'Connor, Steve Lang, Mike Harker, Dave Weaver, Barry Wareham, Richard Schumann, Mike Phillips, Rob Karrsing, and the list goes on...

It is 19yrs on and I can only hope that the Club and newsletter is still going. Enjoy.

Regards
    Sudesh

ps. I also found original typed stories and fly patterns by Jack Blackman. Jack had given them to me one day when I visited him for a pattern. Sadly, he died a few months after my visit.

130211_First Edition of The Bobbin - Official DFT Newsletter.pdf
    Last edited by Sudesh Pursad; 11-02-13 at 02:23 PM.

Hi Sudesh
    Still going strong.
    Received a newsletter, last week.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Here is a copy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie...

Glad to see that the Club and The Bobbin is still going strong. Even still recognise some of the committee members. Thanks tons for sharing this.

Regards
    Sudesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh Pursad View Post
    Hi Guys...

I was going through some old stuff and came across the very first edition of The Bobbin - the official newsletter of Durban Fly Tyers (DFT). Not sure if the club is still going as I have not been in Durban for a while, or if the newsletter is still distributed. Anyways, if not, then the very first edition may interest some of the old members for posterity purposes.

The newsletter full logo unfortunately does not come across clearly in the scan. I remember sitting with an actual R2.00 Indian bobbin and trying to copy the shape and shading on my Mac (using Aldus Freehand in those days). Finally, I had the right proportions that finally became part of the logo. "The Bobbin" font is Park Avenue, which has a fine thread attaching each of the letters. Sadly, the original logo is lost with old stiffy disks.

The four page A4 sized newsletter was compiled using QuarkXpress, printed, hand folded, individually inserted into envelopes and posted to all members and contributors. I had many years of joy with DFT and putting the newsletters together as the first editor. It also resulted in me meeting tons of wonderful people like Hoosen Bobat, Jack Blackman, Kevin Cole, Allen O'Connor, Steve Lang, Mike Harker, Dave Weaver, Barry Wareham, Richard Schumann, Mike Phillips, Rob Karrsing, and the list goes on...

It is 19yrs on and I can only hope that the Club and newsletter is still going. Enjoy.

Regards
    Sudesh

ps. I also found original typed stories and fly patterns by Jack Blackman. Jack had given them to me one day when I visited him for a pattern. Sadly, he died a few months after my visit.

130211_First Edition of The Bobbin - Official DFT Newsletter.pdf
    Hi Sudesh,

As Korrie says, still going strong. I now do the website: http://www.durbanflytyers.co.za/

Think I have a copy of the old logo. Will try dig it up.

Cheers,
    Warren
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Is this it?

dft_forum_logo.gif
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Hi Warren...

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear it is still going strong. Would love to pop by sometime. Cool webiste. I see that the meeting is still at the Westville library on the 1st Mon.

The logo you posted is not the original one I designed, but thanks anyway. Check out the attachment I posted - that was the original logo. I think that only Kevin Cole may have a copy as he was the Chairman at the time 1993/1994/1995. If I find the original one, I will send to you.

Many thanks
    Sudesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh Pursad View Post
    Hi Warren...

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear it is still going strong. Would love to pop by sometime. Cool webiste. I see that the meeting is still at the Westville library on the 1st Mon.

The logo you posted is not the original one I designed, but thanks anyway. Check out the attachment I posted - that was the original logo. I think that only Kevin Cole may have a copy as he was the Chairman at the time 1993/1994/1995. If I find the original one, I will send to you.

Many thanks
    Sudesh
    I've got a few other versions as well. Looks like they used yours and squashed it vertically for some reason.

Would be great to have you sometime. Maybe you could even do a demo tie for us if you have the time.

Are you still up in Joburg?
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Hey there...

Yep, looks like it was squashed along the way. Sounds like a plan to join the meeting one day. Still up in Jhb, so cannot say when . I also see that you have outings to two of my favourite places - Bushmans and Vidal. I started my river fishig for trout on the very section that you guys are fishing. And Vidal was my dream destination until I found Kosi. Allen O' Connor, Steve Lang and I used to do day trips there about three weekends in a month during the summer months of 1994-1998. There were days when the Shad were wild and we would easilt have 100+ fish between us in a few hours. Hoping that I can make a gap to join you guys for at least one of these trips (long shot though ). All the best if I do not join you guys.

Ciao
    Sudesh