Thread: Dry fly cape or saddle hackle

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Default Dry fly cape or saddle hackle

Hi guys
    I'm in the market for new grizzly hackle and can't decide between getting a cape or saddle. I tend to tie flies size 16 down to 20 and smaller. I think from a saddle i'll be able to get more flies, with a cape i get more value and also a lot of wastage with the residual larger feathers i don't use. Some advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm in the market for new grizzly hackle and can't decide between getting a cape or saddle. I tend to tie flies size 16 down to 20 and smaller. I think from a saddle i'll be able to get more flies, with a cape i get more value and also a lot of wastage with the residual larger feathers i don't use. Some advice would be appreciated.
    I think I worked out the solution a few years ago.
    NOTE - you cannot beat Whiting products.

*IF* you don't have the colour already in a quality CAPE, get the cape (or rather a 1/2 Cape). This will allow you to tie up all the normal fly sizes you fish, as well as bigger/smaller flies, plus you get spade hackles for tails and bugger options as well.

If you do have the colour already in a quality CAPE, but are now running out of your most popular sizes, get a quality 1/2 SADDLE in those sizes. This will fill in the gaps left (literally) in your cape.

Since the quality of modern capes/saddles is improving all the time, a current BRONZE is as good/better than a SILVER from 3-5 years ago. Just get Bronze.
    This is also why you want a 1/2 cape or saddle - the full one will last too long.

Also rather than get plain colours (black/brown/dun), rather get a grizzly DYED black/brown/dun - dyed-grizzly feathers still show some barring = illusion of movement = buggier flies.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks Gary
    I have a grizzly cape (not Whiting) with all the smaller hackles are used. So here's what I think i'm gonna do, I think I should get a half a Whiting cape and abuse it till all the smaller feathers are used, then switch to a Whiting saddle

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Thanks Gary
    I have a grizzly cape (not Whiting) with all the smaller hackles are used. So here's what I think i'm gonna do, I think I should get a half a Whiting cape and abuse it till all the smaller feathers are used, then switch to a Whiting saddle
    Perfect plan.

Try find a salt/stillwater angler to buy your old (non-Whiting) cape for ~ 50 bucks. This can offset the Whiting 1/2 cape.
    I have even gone so far in the past as to swop the upper 1/2 of my capes with such anglers for the bottom 1/3 of theirs.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I have even gone so far in the past as to swop the upper 1/2 of my capes with such anglers for the bottom 1/3 of theirs.
    Solid transaction, that

have a look at some of the Indian capes.
    super value for money, with lots of different sizes and colors floating around
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    have a look at some of the Indian capes.
    super value for money, with lots of different sizes and colors floating around
    Ek skiet daai Mynahs - dye daai vere sommer met teesakkies