Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SAGE on Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    We can't be certain that the shipping will be more, but the tubes are relativity the same thickness for both 4 piece and 2 piece rods, thus the volume of a 2 piece rod is going to be more, as most shippers charge by weight or volumetric weight, whichever is the larger. For fly rods it will almost always be the volumetric weight.

Agree with GGY, for the extra couple of Rands, you could get a current model with better technologies and production procedures.
    And think about it, these rods would land for R2000'ish, for an extra R800, you could have the Approach, or R1500 a Response.
    Also, as we have experienced, there is no real resale value for these rods, unlike the top end rods that hold their value well.

However, having said all that, if you want to get into the brand, then this a good stepping stone, the rods will always be good and even if you end up buying a top-end rod at a later date, they will always have a place in your arsenal.
    When we run a "close-out" sale at the end of a range, we always sell all the rods quickly, and know that the new owners will get many years of enjoyment out of them.

regards
    So we can expect a local "close out sale" of Vantages like Jono is currently doing?

And I can get an Approach for R2.8?
    Not commenting on the Response (Big difference between R2000-00 and R3500-00.) The difference actually is a TOP END locally manufactured rod

My whole point is this:

For 2K landed at your address you can buy a 4wt Sage Vantage. I do not believe for a second that you can do better for 2K with any 4wt rod currently locally available. Disagree?
    Last edited by redhumpy; 21-02-13 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    ...TOP END locally manufactured rod...
    Unfortunately, all graphite rods sold in South Africa are made overseas, counter to the way some rods are advertised.

All our excess stock of previous models have been sold.

Yes, the Sage Approach is around R2800, depending on which one you would like.
    Yes, the Sage Response is around R3500, depending on which one you would like.
    VXP, is about R4600, again varying between line weights and lengths.

And yes, at R2000 the entry level from Sage is a fantastic buy and will definitely offer better value than most other rods in that price range.
    But they are 2 piece rods.

regards

Unfortunately, all graphite rods sold in South Africa are made overseas, counter to the way some rods are advertised.

All our excess stock of previous models have been sold.

Yes, the Sage Approach is around R2800, depending on which one you would like.
    Yes, the Sage Response is around R3500, depending on which one you would like.
    VXP, is about R4600, again varying between line weights and lengths.

And yes, at R2000 the entry level from Sage is a fantastic buy and will definitely offer better value than most other rods in that price range.
    But they are 2 piece rods.

regards
    Do you already have the Approach and Reponse in stock? I have not seen them on the online shop yet?

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Not commenting on the Response (Big difference between R2000-00 and R3500-00.) The difference actually is a TOP END locally manufactured rod
    My whole point is this:
    For 2K landed at your address you can buy a 4wt Sage Vantage. I do not believe for a second that you can do better for 2K with any 4wt rod currently locally available. Disagree?
    Now this is where it becomes more subjective, but I would not say that a 4wt Sage Vantage is better than eg a new Stealth Infinity. Top end Sage/Hardy/GLoomis/St Croix are noticably better than the cheaper rods, due to better technology/build, but the some of the newer models from local "brands" (Stealth/Xplorer) are good rods.

Check out the shootout below (no lower-price Sages) and their general comments on rods.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ut-gear-review
    Last edited by GGY; 22-02-13 at 10:14 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

We have the rods in stock, just haven't updated our site, which will be done by Monday.

GGY, "subjectiveness" or objectiveness...
    The website you have linked to is known to be bias based on alignments to specific suppliers, manufacturers and brands, and is regarded, within the industry, as an interesting look at how other products compete against the brands that are favored.
    It is unfortunate that they hold so much weight with the end-users, but then, that's what marketing departments are designed to do.

As for our "subjectiveness", we we believe in the brand and the products it produces, and we stand behind any of their products, from entry level to top-end.

GGY, "subjectiveness" or objectiveness...
    The website you have linked to is known to be bias based on alignments to specific suppliers, manufacturers and brands, and is regarded, within the industry, as an interesting look at how other products compete against the brands that are favored.
    Guys - I was specifically referring to the "general comments on rods" on the link, not neccessarily the results of their shootouts. Pretty much eveything is subjective, and we all have our particular style/action/brand preferences. What one angler loves, another might hate - which is why Sage, for example makes rods ranges from the Circa to the TCX.
    YMMV.
    Gary

And just 'cos I like to poke...just for fun & to keep the conversation going...

http://troutunderground.com/2009/02/...l-time-period/

BTW - I have not even read this link myself before posting it ;-)
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    TCX.
    Let's bow our heads and take a moment of silence.

And more...

http://midcurrent.com/gear/retro-rod...fishing-world/

Again - I have not even read this link myself before posting it ;-)
    Gary

Gary, a bit off the topic, but that section you fished on the Mooi last year is fishing well at the moment. Apparently Wildfly did some filming there the other day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast