Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breeda River

Default Breeda River

Hi Guys
    Im heading home to Sunny SA in March, and will be heading down to the Witsands to do a bit of Fly fishing, I was wondering if any body could give me some advice on flies to use for Leervis, grunter and kob, I have a lot of saltwater flies, but with traveling from the Uk I dont want to have to bring the whole lot with me, I havn't fished down in the Western Cape before as I originally from Natal, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Trevor
    Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up

For the smaller leeries this is my go to fly

I usually put this behind a #1/0 - 3/0 Grey over white/Brown over white/Olive over white/Black over white deceiver, although it is uncommon for most people to fish two flies. It works so i have stuck with it. I usually add a bit of red somewhere. A couple or strands of red flash or red eyes. SF Minnows are supposed to be great although that is not my experience. I find that the bucktail flies are hard to beat and that for leeries synthetics are over rated and I am now about to get shot down for that last comment. Flippers are a must for leeries and crease flies as well apparently although I haven't used them much.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

If you want proper info send a PM to Winelands fly fishing or MCC and I am sure there are a few more guys that know witsand well. I have only fished it once on fly so the little info I can give is very general.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ktail-Deceiver These in grey otherwise you cant go wrong with natural clousers.

Thanks, I have a few that I have tied that are very similar to one in your pic, but will tie up a few the same, I have tied a few like this on 1/0 and 2/0 in a few different colours
    photo 1.jpg
    Last edited by Trevor28; 26-02-13 at 10:25 AM.

a surface fly of choice....silicone and clouser will be all you need for leerie...kob,any big dark fly that pushes water...grunter..buy a prawn pump and use the real deal...will save you hours of heratbreak
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Trevor,

We have been fishing Breede a few times every year for the past three years, some guys on the forum fish it alot more. I have indicated on the above map some spots that is worth a shot and has been producing good results in the past. You will see that we mainly fish on the Infanta side, so you need a boat if based in Witsand.

1. The rock ledges on the Infanta side, good on a pushing tide, the features here just scream fish, deep drop offs.

2. Sedgewicks - Usually plenty of smaller Leeries around

3. Up from Sedgewicks, again some rock with sand inbetween, you will get to a "fishkraal" structure further, usually a good area.

4. Fish the bank here on a strong push, good to have a boat, so you can fish a bit later.

5. You can work the whole bank here between 4 and 5, where the sandy spit here is always a good spot.

6 - 7 Rocky shore between Mudlark and the rocky point at 7, good on the outgoing tide as well.

8. Wooden Jetty with mudbanks.

9. The sandspit on the Witsand side, know some anglers who had very good fishing here on a pushing tide, as you can see there is quite a prominent drop off.

The Breede Lodge have boats for hire, I know the Bush Pub area further upriver has been good in the past when it is slow at the mouth.

Poppers, Clousers, Flippers and woolhead mullets will all produce, it is more about covering water and moving/finding fish. look for nervous baitfish. Keep us updated on your trip.

Thanks for the info its what I was looking for

Guys, Any ideas as to how far up the river kob and leervis can be caught, We have managed to find a place that still have boats available for the date I will be there but it is 7 km up river

You'll get them up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast