Thread: Salt Water Accommodation Near Durban

Default Salt Water Accommodation Near Durban

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on reasonably priced accommodation near Durban for myself and the wife? Generally we camp but she's 8 months pregnant so this is the time for a chalet or similar.

I'm basically looking for something on the beach where I can walk down and fish the beach or gullies?

Thanks
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Hi Warren,

Have you ever fished at Mtunzini? Its around 140km from Durbs. Its not the perfect surf fishing destination but the estuary is a awesome sight! Was there last weekend and even though I only managed a small Barred Flat Head in the hour or so fishing time I had. The venue more than made up for it. It could be because I love mangroves and Mtunzini is full of it!

Flyfishing the estuary is not easy due to all the mangroves, but there are canoes for hire that might help get you into better fishing spots (at a cost) or a walk along the estuary towards the mouth could yield fish and has less vegetation to fight, I would like to explore that area a bit more in the future..

Try get a wooded cabin from the Parks Board, then you have 24/7 access to the water as there is a gate that is time restricted (closes at 10pm!! atleast) is you stay in town or at another venue. You also have access to the beach from within the parks board area so you could have the best of both worlds.

Some snaps from the trip...

Mtunzini-11.jpgMtunzini-14.jpgMtunzini-19.jpgMtunzini-20.jpgMtunzini-21.jpg
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Thanks Ko7Ad. I have actually been there before and we stayed in the log cabins. I haven't fished it though.

Aren't there crocs in the estuary? Not sure I'd want to walk up and fish

Definitely a venue worth looking at though. I believe the bait fisherman do quite well there.

Thanks again
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Thanks Ko7Ad. I have actually been there before and we stayed in the log cabins. I haven't fished it though.

Definitely a venue worth looking at though. I believe the bait fisherman do quite well there.

Thanks again
    Are you buying your kayak? You should take that up and use it in the Mangroves - sure you will pick up snapper, bream and maybe even some juvenile game fish.....

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    Are you buying your kayak? You should take that up and use it in the Mangroves - sure you will pick up snapper, bream and maybe even some juvenile game fish.....
    Not at the moment. I really liked the Freedom Hawk, but it was just too heavy for me to load by myself. Still keen though.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

To be honest, the small amount of Crocs there (if any) doesn't worry me too much. The locals ski and swim in the estuary on occasion and I have never heard of a attack or seen a Croc there. Were as at St Lucia people have been constantly taken by Crocs over the years and its not that they go swim in the water either, the Croc population is just to massive.

My rule of thumb that works until proven otherwise :tongue: is staying a full rod length away from the waters edge, at St Lucia this seems to work as I am still here after seeing many a croc eye ball me and then disappear. Or I have just been every lucky up to now!? lol
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    To be honest, the small amount of Crocs there (if any) doesn't worry me too much. The locals ski and swim in the estuary on occasion and I have never heard of a attack or seen a Croc there. Were as at St Lucia people have been constantly taken by Crocs over the years and its not that they go swim in the water either, the Croc population is just to massive.

My rule of thumb that works until proven otherwise :tongue: is staying a full rod length away from the waters edge, at St Lucia this seems to work as I am still here after seeing many a croc eye ball me and then disappear. Or I have just been every lucky up to now!? lol
    You're a brave man!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

As i youngster i stayed in richards bay for 2 years...remember fishing st lucia and charters creek and having to hold our little ski boat in the water at the slip,while my old man reversed the trailer down....

Must say i dont remember seing a croc tho....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on reasonably priced accommodation near Durban for myself and the wife? Generally we camp but she's 8 months pregnant so this is the time for a chalet or similar.

I'm basically looking for something on the beach where I can walk down and fish the beach or gullies?

Thanks
    Have you heard of Jex cottage. Its between Tinley Manor and Blythedale right on the Mvoti river mouth. I am not sure how good it is for flyfishing but the cottage is right on the beach. I have fished around that area off a ski and its pretty good for quite a few species. There is quite a bit of reef around and should be plenty of gullies etc to fish as well as some good fishing around the river mouth. There must be some kingies and springer etc. Maybe even some Garrick too! Jex Cottage View.jpg

Not sure on costs etc and the only problem is its a 12 sleeper house so you might have to go in a group to make it affordable. Maybe a spot for the next DFT saltwater trip :smile:

I think this is it http://www.wheretostay.co.za/umvotibeachhouse/

Otherwise I know a guy that has stayed there so can organise a number for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JulzD View Post
    Have you heard of Jex cottage. Its between Tinley Manor and Blythedale right on the Mvoti river mouth. I am not sure how good it is for flyfishing but the cottage is right on the beach. I have fished around that area off a ski and its pretty good for quite a few species. There is quite a bit of reef around and should be plenty of gullies etc to fish as well as some good fishing around the river mouth. There must be some kingies and springer etc. Maybe even some Garrick too! Jex Cottage View.jpg

Not sure on costs etc and the only problem is its a 12 sleeper house so you might have to go in a group to make it affordable. Maybe a spot for the next DFT saltwater trip :smile:

I think this is it http://www.wheretostay.co.za/umvotibeachhouse/

Otherwise I know a guy that has stayed there so can organise a number for you.
    Definitely sounds like a potential spot. Shot bud!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"