Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sage VXP, Orvis access or TFO BVK

Sage VXP all the way man!
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by fishlover1 View Post
    Sage VXP all the way man!
    Flippen sagophrenic
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I have cast the 6wt stcroix and vxp back to back using a gpx line.The st croix feels slightly more tip heavy than the vxp but that all fades when you are casting.It has a slightly faster action and is also more accurate and can handle more line better.Fit and finish on the stcroix is nicer TO ME,but im biased as i now own one.
    As for backup,no idea,have not had issues to test it.Backed by Jandi it should be good.Sage however i do believe has the best backup of all top end rods,no questions.

VXP = Dry Fly Rod? Personally I don't think so ...

If your budget allows try to get the ESN. It's one of the most underrated dry fly rods around. The advantage is that you would be able to switch over to heavy nymphs without having to change rods.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Access kicks ass, prefer it to my Z axis ! ...just my two pennies worth...

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

I have casted the majority of the rods you have listed, and for Dry Fly, the Sage VXP is awesome! Its fast action delivers delicate presentations and is an all-round beaut of a rod The Orvis Accses and the BVK are also babes! You're really going to have to try them all before you make a choice. Many of the guys posting on the forum will have thier own opinions, but the only way for you to find the best suited rod as to your personal applications, is for you to cast it.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by fishlover1 View Post
    I have casted the majority of the rods you have listed, and for Dry Fly, the Sage VXP is awesome! Its fast action delivers delicate presentations and is an all-round beaut of a rod The Orvis Accses and the BVK are also babes! You're really going to have to try them all before you make a choice. Many of the guys posting on the forum will have thier own opinions, but the only way for you to find the best suited rod as to your personal applications, is for you to cast it.
    Nick
    Nick, what are your findings of the VXP 4-weight ito protecting light tippets on the strike?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Without pulling a bassmasters 'face ripper' strike, the rod handles light tippets well. But, these are my findings, and like i said in my previous comment, he will have to try the rod, and play with it himself before he make a final decision.

I would definatly go for a 10ft rod for dries. You just have more control.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast