Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback- Pascal Cognard Course

Default Feedback- Pascal Cognard Course

Hi all.
    There have been quite a few of the forumers on Pascal's course.
    It will be great to have some feed back on your experiences, if you could change something, what will it be etc etc.
    Or even the word of mouth comments that you heard, will also be welcome.
    For those who did not, could not, or had no interest, your comments will also be welcome.

Many thanks
    Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi all.For those who did not, could not, or had no interest, your comments will also be welcome.

Many thanks
    Korrie
    Korrie - I did not, I could not, but I had GREAT interest. Everything I have heard has been very very positive and I have great appreciation for you trying so hard for so long getting Pascal over here. Well done!

I wear my KB cap with proud (hic..) pride... Even when I'm almost drowned and across.

I wrote a small thing with pics, but am looking forward to a proper article in one of our local mags. You can start with illustrations of the REAL Pascal Cognard leader formula's...

Had a long chat with Mark Krige today and only heard good things about the Heron so well done on getting the Uncle to SA. Now for GGY to do the SBS on the dropper knot......
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-03-13 at 09:46 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Haha you guys are asking for all the trade secrets!

I found it awe inspiring! You had to be there to truly appreciate it but he pulled 2 fish out of a shallow bathtub of a piece of water that all the Cape locals would have had one quick cast in and moved on. We actually joked and directed him to the peice of water thinking that anyone would be wasting their time in there. The understanding I have of leaders and Greyling behavior has doubled, my fishing has improved 10-15% (very literally), my approach is different, my though process is different, my casting and drifts improved significantly... it is indescribable how chuffed I am with what I learned from the course. Worth the R1300 10 times over!

I think what he really shows you is what a difference all those little 1%'s make if you get them all right and in one package.

Not overly sold with the dropper knot yet though, but I will practice!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Definitely worth the money. My whole understanding of team dynamics during comps has changed as well as the way I read water. I still have to try out the leader and see how my drifts have improved, but I have no doubt that I have learned more in a weekend than I thought possible. I knew nothing about Grayling and now all I need is first hand experience. Truly amazing watching him fish.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Korrie I for one really enjoyed the course!!
    (It was an absolute STEAL at the price for one)
    What amazed me was the level of attention to detail that the french pay to every facet of what they do.
    Nothing is done for the sake of merely doing it and every facet is the result of meticulous research on the "little things".
    I really would have loved to see them on some trout water but it amazed me how quickly they adapted to the vaal.
    A massive thank-you for getting it all off the ground.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Really loved the course too as others have said.

I just felt like Friday night could have been better utilized. A discussion on French morale during the world championships is highly niche. Perhaps that should have been an optional during the course of the weekend, with something else offered for those who are not interested. I went for the fly tying, which understandably never happened due to it getting late. But if I knew we were going to skip that, I may have rather stayed home and gotten some much needed work done (yes I would have rather worked than listened to how you choose a team for the worlds ...ok maybe not.)

I think I may have simply missed this: "Small talk about how to approach the river and how to choose the fishing technic.(What we look for and how we look for it: season, time of the day, weather, insects, rises or not, river profile, kind of fish we look for….)(30mn)" Did I miss it (brain fry) or was it not really covered? I was looking forward to this discussion.

Other than that, and perhaps starting on time, it was a fantastic weekend. Time well spent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    SBS on the dropper knot......
    The key really is, to use a surgeons knot...

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Really loved the course too as others have said.

I just felt like Friday night could have been better utilized. A discussion on French morale during the world championships is highly niche. Perhaps that should have been an optional during the course of the weekend, with something else offered for those who are not interested. I went for the fly tying, which understandably never happened due to it getting late. But if I knew we were going to skip that, I may have rather stayed home and gotten some much needed work done (yes I would have rather worked than listened to how you choose a team for the worlds ...ok maybe not.)

I think I may have simply missed this: "Small talk about how to approach the river and how to choose the fishing technic.(What we look for and how we look for it: season, time of the day, weather, insects, rises or not, river profile, kind of fish we look for….)(30mn)" Did I miss it (brain fry) or was it not really covered? I was looking forward to this discussion.

Other than that, and perhaps starting on time, it was a fantastic weekend. Time well spent IMO.
    Hi Ben
    all of those that you mentioned were covered.
    The official program was slightly shuffled to accomodate the questions and demonstrations.

a. approach to the river - you can start of with a search dry fly pattern -Tabanas.
    b. or do the wet fly techniques to find the fish, as you will cover more water.
    c. he mentioned a couple of times about the fish/flies etc in overcast conditions moving deeper and shallower, adapting to the depth.
    d. seasons: beginning and end of seasons, tippets etc, techniques, water levels

Some of the topics were combined, as the questions of one topic ran into a different one.
    I am of the opinion, it was a complete information overload, for such a short time. Most of the participants mentioned that they need to go back and consult all their notes, to digest all the information.
    If you have any quereis, send me an email, I will answer all of them, with the answers given on the course, all the conversations and answers will then come back to you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Well done Korrie. Sounds like it was very informative. Congrats on pulling it off so well Boet.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast