Thread: Giants Castle - Busmans River report

Default Giants Castle - Busmans River report

I fished the Bushmans river at Giants Castle this past weekend, on my previous visit it was mainly dry fly fishing which i enjoy the most for catching river trout. Armed with my new 3wt rod, a Stelath magnum (thanks for your input GGY), i was eager to christian it on some fiesty wild browns on dry fly. With the rain expierienced earlier in the week the river was flowing strong and made wading difficult.With the fast flows the fish were reluctent to rise so i fished with nymphs. Fishing was tough and caught just two small browns on the first afternoon. On our second day we fished the upper streches of the reserve, lots of water but only managed another 3 small browns. Later in the day we fished a section lower down from the gate, i managed a PB brown of around 13 inches on nymph and lost a much bigger one. I found a deep pool which was overflowing into a rapid below, sneaked a cast and something wacked my dry, i set the hook and the fish gave one great leap from the pool, it was a decent brown bigger than 30cm, i held on try to muscle the fish closer but with 5x it was tough. The fish finally got into the main flow and down the rapids it went, i tried to chase after it but my leader rubbed againt the rocks and the fish was gone. Disappointed from that i carried on up the river in the shallow water, it was late afternoon with the sun going down, i tried using a dry to try and raise a fish or two but no luck.

The following day we fished the water outside the reserve, still flowing high but the river was a bit broader so it was easier, again caught couple of nice rainbows on nymph. Being our last few hours on the river i had to catch at least one fish on dry fly, i put on a RAB at some slow flowing water and saw two fish rise intermittently some 15 meters away, made a cast and was too short, next cast and i was in the feeding lane.I eagerly watched my fly drift down the river and hoping that i would get a take, than almost in slow motion the fish gently took the dry. I struck and i was on, being slower water the fish felt strong , i managed to get it closer and as soon as it saw me it spooked and headed for the long grass and reeds, i managed to keep it away and landed my PB rainbow river trout, it was 39cm and a bit of a fat fish. I was smiling from ear to ear for a long time after that. I guess this report would have been much better with some pics, my next investment needs to be a water-proof camera.

Back on the long road home after that, a pity on the high flows but the Bushmans will always be special place for me.

Lekker report. I will be there next weekend.
    A dry that works a charm on that river is an Elk Hair Caddis. Small Stimulators also work well.
    Didn't you get any Yellows on the nymph? Did you see some though?

Hi E.T tried the Elk hairs with cdc, no luck , i think the flows were too fast for dry fly to be effective.Hope the flows are better by next week. No yellows to be seen or caught, just browns and bows. The road from the N3 to the river is in crap condition so take it easy, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappa Roach View Post
    Hi E.T tried the Elk hairs with cdc, no luck , i think the flows were too fast for dry fly to be effective.Hope the flows are better by next week. No yellows to be seen or caught, just browns and bows. The road from the N3 to the river is in crap condition so take it easy, enjoy.

I have had good success with CDC & Elk's all over, but on the Bushmans.....Aikona.
    I tie a #16 Elk Hair Caddis with Rust Brown hackle plamered as the body and an Olive Deer Hair Wing. It's a fish taker even when it isn't floating properly anymore and it goes sub surface(drowned).

There is some big Yellows in those waters you fished. Still think you did good with the water levels and all. Shot for the headsup on the road.