Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yellowfish - Luck Vs Skill

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Any fish in dirty water is easier to catch. The fact that the Vaal is on average more dirty and discoloured than not probably makes for a lot af what Lacustris is saying.
    Agreed, kinda what I was trying to get across. But that does not in any way make yellowfish as a species easy to catch in general, which is what I understood from Lacustris's post.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Agreed, kinda what I was trying to get across. But that does not in any way make yellowfish as a species easy to catch in general, which is what I understood from Lacustris's post.
    That's only because you mainly catch yellowfish and did not want to look stupid

Yellowfish (smallmouth particularly, and I refer to a comment in the latest TCFF as well) can be SUPER hard to fool. In Rhodes when water gets to ridiculous clarity levels, they are far spookier than trout. This is mainly due to their shoaling behavior, but still!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    That's only because you mainly catch yellowfish and did not want to look stupid

Yellowfish (smallmouth particularly, and I refer to a comment in the latest TCFF as well) can be SUPER hard to fool. In Rhodes when water gets to ridiculous clarity levels, they are far spookier than trout. This is mainly due to their shoaling behavior, but still!
    And don't forget that yellows are more colour-sensitive than trout. This is especially apparent in clear water.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    And don't forget that yellows are more colour-sensitive than trout. This is especially apparent in clear water.
    I can imagine ... with all the time spent finding food in discoloured water, when they get into clear water they must feel like Vin Diesel in Pitch Black ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

This is very true.Tested this a few times at lilydale,no question they like certain colours.I also noticed a certain aggresion to certain colours over others.My finding was the lighter or more colourful the fly like the yellows and oranges got a more aggresive response whereas the darker colours they tend to take in their stride.Guess the darker ones are more natural and they are used to feeding on them where the light ones are more opportunistic and they dont know what to expect.That in itself is a whole new debate

Here is my take on the situation after fishing some new venues the past couple of weekends. After fishing for yellows exclusively on the vaal below parys I went to lilydale and the orange river below the gariep dam the past couple of weekends. The last couple of outings to the vaal river I would be very disappointed if it wasnt a 20+ fish day with several fish over 2kg. I was cured from thinking I know how to catch yellowfish by going to these other places.

At the orange river below the gariep I didnt have time to experiment because the hydro station floods the place and its nearly unfishable where I went (at waschbank lodge), I had only a couple of hours of fishing and caught 2 very nice and powerful fish on GRHEs nymphing. But I knew it was more luck that seriously knowing how to fish for them as there were loads of fish all around me and I couldnt get them on the hook. If you want to fish the orange I would advise on fishing very far from they wall and hydro station.

At lilydale I tried every dry fly, dry and dropper, with nearly every color I could and also wooly buggers, but I only managed to land fish while nymphing. This didnt really make sense because I could see the fish feeding at the surface and subsurface but just couldnt get them to bite. All the fish I caught were below 1kg (had a couple of break offs because I fished with fine tippet) but I saw lots of yellows above 2kg swiiming around. I havent fished dry fly for years so I might be totally out of practice and doing something wrong, but the bottom line is fishing the Vaal for me at least is very easy compared to some other places. And I can second core fly's opinion on the color. At lilydale on black nymphs and grey rock worms the takes were incredibly subtle but on red worm imitations the takes were hard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123