Thread: Sinking poly leaders

Default Sinking poly leaders

I don't know how many of you use sinking poly leaders. I always have a type 7 sinking leader on me when I am out fishing. I use them mostly on a floating fly line when I need to fish a little deeper. Off a float tube they work brilliantly, especially when fishing in an around structure. I also use them for fishing streamers deeper in flowing water. It is so simple to take off the leader, loop on the sinking leader, tie on the fly and you are set. Also easy to change back again. Much quicker than having to change to a sinking fly line. The bite detection is also much better than fishing a sinking line. Poly leaders work better for me than braided sinking leaders for several reasons. I wont get into them here...

Obviously fishing a sinking line has its place and using a sinking leader will not work in every situation, but the speed and versatility of it is a winner for me.

Any thoughts

www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

I have tried them,floating and sinking versions.I must say I prefer the sinking version for what it is.However I dont find a huge amount of use for them and usually opt to fish a heavier fly with a longer leader if needed.Then again thats me.They are however very nice to use and cast for that matter

I hear you Core fly....
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Hi all.

I'm looking to use them with my 9wt floating line in the salt. But I've got a couple of questions. Hope it's okay if I ask them here.

I see most of them come in 5' and 10' lengths. How long tippet can you tie to the poly leader? I will be using the full sink ones and as far as I can see they are black in colour and I'm just concerned that if I can't tie at least 2m of fluoro on, the fish might see the poly leader and get spooked.

How do they effect your cast?

My aim is to get my fly about 2m subsurface, do you think that will be possible with a 10' poly leader?

Why waste your time with a poly leader?

Tie yourself a leader from stock standard saltwater fluorocarbon and voila.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I'm not sure it will sink as fast and deep as a type 7 poly leader??? Will it???

Hi hilros,

The leader will hinge when casting. I will rather look at the weight in the fly line or fly. A Poly leader is just a piece of fly line in my opinion, made into a leader.

I see. So for my application I'm probably better off using a intermediate or sink tip line.