Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greys stream flex #4 10ft

Yea, seems odd considering most other places are selling it around the R4k+ mark.

Ok..sorry, no, it was the streamflex..older one. my mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The XF2?? For R1200??
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Consider the TFO Jim Teeny in 5wt 10 foot.

Very, very underated rod that works very well for both nymphing and dry fly. They were also selling on sale for less than R2k not too long ago....
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

awesome rod....it's taken me a while to get used to mine but now that I am used to it, it truly is an amazing rod....felt heavy in the beginning....but with the correct reel it's a charm to fish with....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Good to hear you gave it a shot... The action (and extra foot) does take a bit of getting used to but well worth it in my opinion.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Some guys in South Africa reckons a DI 5 is what you need, but you can do all everthing with a DI 7, what you can do with a DI 5, but you cannot do all the things with a DI 5 that you can do with a DI7.
    Sorry for all the waffing, but the #6 was mentioned, and you can fish big still waters with it.
    Korrie would you mind elaborating a little? My logic tells me otherwise (my logic says you can leave a di5 to sink a little longer before starting your retrieve and it will be easier to keep your depth without dragging on the bottom). What can you do with a di7 that you cannot with a di5?
    Also, what sort of fly would you fish for trout with a di5/7 anyway? The way I understand it there's very little insect activity beyond a certain depth (no sunlight=no plantlife=no insects). Is it a line for streamers and perhaps crab patterns only? (watchit shammie :wink

Not so much about the fly that you would fish with thise lines, but more about the line that gives you the versatility of the retrieve. If you need a slow retrive at a certain depth, the heavier line will sink below the target depth too quickly. For instance say at 10 meters, you need a slow figure of eight retrieve. Would you rather be fishing a DI3 that gets you there slower, but holds the depth for longer, or the 5 or 7 that gets there fast, but cant stay at the depth for too long at a slow retrieve. If you aren't into varying retrieves, it really doesn't matter what line you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Korrie would you mind elaborating a little? My logic tells me otherwise (my logic says you can leave a di5 to sink a little longer before starting your retrieve and it will be easier to keep your depth without dragging on the bottom). What can you do with a di7 that you cannot with a di5?
    Also, what sort of fly would you fish for trout with a di5/7 anyway? The way I understand it there's very little insect activity beyond a certain depth (no sunlight=no plantlife=no insects). Is it a line for streamers and perhaps crab patterns only? (watchit shammie :wink
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Lets try
    you use a DI 5 or 7 to get down.
    a DI7 sinks 40% faster than a DI5.
    So your line will be much longer in the water with a DI7.
    If you fish in a drift boat, you want to get your line to the depth as quick as possible.
    With a moderate to strong wind, you can fish quite a few meters extra, per cast. if the fish are deep.
    You get lots of buzzers and daphnia beyond 10 meters in deep dams.
    When fishing lures, deep, a lot of fish will take it as opportunistic feeders. See food, eat food.
    Flies: lures, boobies, fritzes, buzzers, woolly buggers, Goldilocks, nymphs,
    With a fast sinking line, you can have a floating fly (i.e. booby) on the point, to lift your flies from the bottom, with buzzers on the 1 and 2nd dropper.
    Say the fish is at a depth of 8m, which we have in dams like Lakensvlei, not everday, but it happens.
    5 meters = 197inches. With a DI5 = 40seconds. With a DI7 = 28 seconds, difference is 12 seconds.
    8m = 314 inches. With a DI5 = 62 seconds. With a DI7 = 45 seconds. You have an strong wind pushing you forward, you cover a lot of water in 17 seconds. So you miss out on a lot of water you can fish.
    Then add the drag of the flies going thru the water, a heavier line, will "pull"it faster than a light line.
    How long does it take to hook a fish? Less than a second.
    if you have on every cast, when you fish deeper, 10 to 30 seconds extra, how much do you have extra in a 3 hour session? or just in 1 hour?
    It could mean 1 2 or 3 or 4 fish.
    If you require more info, let me know
    For most social fishing applications, a DI5 will be good, but for serious fishing and competition fishing on big and deep dams, a DI7 is a better line.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3