Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colored hooks, Black, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Red, Green

Default Colored hooks, Black, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Red, Green

What is your opinion on colored hooks?
    Do you believe it makes a difference?
    I used to be ambivalent to the color of hooks, thinking that in some instances it made a difference.
    When Darrel Martin, visited SA, about 12 years ago, he was very pro silver for dry flies, with the extra reflection etc.
    Some competition fly fishers wanted as little flash as possible, and went all black.
    Some Cz Fly fishers are very adamant about certain flies on gold hooks.

Having inspected Pascal Cognard's fly boxes and the odd chat about it.
    I am starting to believe that there is a definite place for colored hooks.
    And perhaps much more than what we think.

Let me know what you think.
    When I return from Maclear, I will post my thoughts and some of my experiences on the waters in that area.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

thanks SIR korrie.....think the fky makes more of a diffrence than the hook.... but i could be wrong
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Dan, has Gary finished the book I gave him? He might have some input regarding hooks and if the fish see them or ignore them (from a competition fisherman's pov).

If fish see and react to the hook (uncovered area), it opens up a whole new discussion on why we tie flies to actually imitate aquatic food sources.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I know Herman J likes his red carp hooks. I suppose red could work for Midge larva patterns,etc give it a try you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    I know Herman J likes his red carp hooks. I suppose red could work for Midge larva patterns,etc give it a try you never know.
    Agreed, but then the hook respresents/imitates the entire foodsource, and is not dressed.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ever hear of a pattern called a "Red Datsun"?

It's an old UK Stillwater pattern - 70's or early 80's..... a standard hook painted red with car paint to imitate a bloodworm.

In Finland they make extensive use of coloured hooks in local fly patterns. A lot of the Caddis patterns are tied on gold hooks but they are also very fond of red and green hooks for dry flies and nymph patterns.

As a contrast, it's interesting that you don't see that many coloured hooks in patterns fished in Sweden or Norway - same type of water but completely different flies.

I might be slaughtered here but are the guys such bad anglers that they need the advantage of a coloured hook in order to catch a fish.I believe size,shape and fishing method are the main basis by which a fish feeds,that said there are instances where colour might be a more agressive trigger,especially with streamers etc,but for nymphs,dries etc i dont believe its that important.

I do however guess at competition level any advantage an angler has is great and subtle things like a coloured hook might give him more confidence in fishing a fly and catching more fish.Problem is with these things is in an uncontrolled environment you cant really say its the dded colour etc that made the difference,there are too many variables.
    I remember reading a study about catfish and colour and how out of 4 colours fed to them they ate 60% more blue.Needless to say i tied tons of blue flies with no real added success and it got me thinking about the colour stories.
    Look into my fly boxes now and you see a pretty bland bunch of flies.but a hell of a lot of different shapes and sizes and I still catch fish
    Just my way of looking at it.

Some oke is gonna gooi UV paint on his hooks and that will be the newest hype in Fly-fishing...they already doing it with beads!

What about those glow sticks for carp angling.Tie it as a ultra bright worm pattern:smile:

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Some oke is gonna gooi UV paint on his hooks and that will be the newest hype in Fly-fishing...they already doing it with beads!
    I am actually playing around with a total tungsten bead-body caddis (the fly is called the T2B2) in #16 and #18, covered with UV resin, then a layer of paint to match the natural, then a few more UV coats to seal it in. Results look great so far, not been fished though. The upside/reason to this (experiment) is to be able to get a very heavy but small fly that even competition anglers can use (seeing that only 1 visible bead is allowed). Will post pics when I can.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast