Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The importance of the "footprint" of the fly on the water.

Default The importance of the "footprint" of the fly on the water.

On the recent trip to Maclear for the Nationals, I saw the effectiveness of the "footprint" of a fly. Maybe a bit of the silhoute as well. Who knows ecactly what it was, but I like to think it was the impression on the water of the fly.
    I tied a fly with Possum hair, A BIG fly. about 35mm long
    I wanted to use it for an "floatant" for a heavier nymph.

Second or third cast, I was into a 20cm plus fish, third cast after that again, and so it went on.
    I even called a team member(Willem Pretorius) to come and witness this, because who will believe me, that I caught fish on a dry fly, in DEEP RUNS. Probably over a meter with fast flowing water. Especially a scruffy, scrawny looking fly.
    after about 10 fish, I asked Willem if he wants to try one of these flies, as he had a Stimulater of the same size on his leader, but going without any takes. He greatfully accepted the offer and tied on of these "things that stimulates half a small mamal or a big bird" as described by Matt Rich.
    First cast, fish for Willem, Second cast fish for Willem, Third cast a missed take.
    we knew we were onto something. the next couple of days, during the practice and the competition, this fly took many fish, including a 390mm fat as butter rainbow from the Little Pot river. It was only when I got stuck in a tree, and gently pulled the fly out, not to snap the 8x tippet and the fly landed in the water in front of me, did I realise the "footprint" or impression on the water the fly left. It looked so yummy, I wanted to take a bite. In future, I will look a lot closer at the "footprint" of the fly in the water and not only how the fly drifts ON the water.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Albe showed me one after our last session and I must admit I suspected they hit that thing to stop it from breeding!
    Very cool fly and I love the possum overwing.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Korrie; I think you are right on the money when you think that the Footprint, profile or Silhouette are very important in determining the fishes response to your fly.

You have obviously got it right and I would be interested to hear whether the fly continues to be as productive in future under different and varied conditions.

I hope the fly proves to be a good all-rounder and you have heaps of fun with it. Also please post a Photo when the dust settles.

have Fun. Jax
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

4. Default

Korrie, read both Bob Wyatt's books ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Boys, we're in for a terrible winter: the world is on it's ear!

Korrie is raving about a DRY FLY a DRY FLY what next.........
    enjoy what little time you have left
    pete
    ps
    glad to hear you had some fun up there maclear and surrounds has some fabulous fishing

Thanks Mario
    I have read so many books all ready, about it.
    Yes, they mention it, talk about it, discuss it etc.

But to experience its effectiveness, and see the effect, and all of a sudden seeing the footprint of a specific fly, the materials you used. its effect on the water, and the "footprint" it leaves, THAT IS MAGIC.
    When 20 years of reading, 20 years of fishing and trying different materials comes together in a couple of hours on a mountain stream, catching countless fish. THAT IS PRICELESS.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Boys, we're in for a terrible winter: the world is on it's ear!

Korrie is raving about a DRY FLY a DRY FLY what next.........
    enjoy what little time you have left
    pete
    ps
    glad to hear you had some fun up there maclear and surrounds has some fabulous fishing
    Hi Pete.
    as you said the world is on its ear.
    When all of this came together, and catching all the fish on a DRY FLY, I had to call my team mates to witness this event.
    Nobobdy would have believed me, if I showed them this fly, and how effective it was. NOBODY, not one of my team mates would have believed it. If it was a nymph, YES, or a recognised dry fly pattern, or maybe small dry fly, but not this big thing. That is why I had to call them. to witness this.
    Korrie Broos

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Thanks Mario
    I have read so many books all ready, about it.
    Yes, they mention it, talk about it, discuss it etc.
    His books are about SO much more than just that. Yes, given, it basically says the DHE is the ultimate fly (hehehe), but the reading and some of his observations are really extremely good to just read. Both books are great "reading", especially the 1st one.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Recently fished a Wolf Spider (which has a fairly large foot print) for the first time in a stream and had good success with it. Suspended a nymph below it, but they would head straight to the spider at speed. Also pulled a rainbow of the bottom of a run of about 2m deep, definitely one of my fun flies at the moment

Korrie you are dead right. I have seen this with CDC & Elk and with the normal Elk Hair Caddis.
    When the fly becomes wet or soggy the fly rides differently than when it's dry. So when you dry the fly up and you put it down on the water again, you immediately get a response from the fish.

Also have a look at these

PETER BRIGG'S NEW WOLF SPIDER
    http://tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishin...lf-spider.html

SNOWSHOE HARE EGG-LAYING SPINNER
    http://tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishin...-of-flies.html

Ed's Foam Hopper
    http://tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishin...ts-hopper.html

This fly sits right in the surface film, never have I fished this fly without success.
    The trout loves it so much that they would literally take the thing apart.
    Fast water, slow water, pocket water, you name it, this fly just works. I tested this last year at Injusuthi a big foam hopper would get some attention, then I would tie one of these on and immediately the takes were super aggressive, they would take it without hesitation.

I am glad to see that you have gone through a metamorphosis. As you always referred to a dry fly as a tungsten bomb that has not yet seen the water. Now you are onto a code breaker. Mind you not a bad name for that fly....The Code Breaker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast