Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back Home

Default Back Home

Howzit all,

After a 12 year stint of living in denial in the UK, I've finally returned back to SA! So glad to be in a decent climate again.

Fishing wise - I'm passionate about my Saltwater Flyfishing (A Permit and Trevally Junkie ) but don't sway away from many chances to wave the long rod - be it trout, salmon or Sea trout. I'm looking forward to being able to spend more time in Moz than my usual twice a year ventures from Blighty. I believe I can't miss out on this yellow fish action too!

Hoping to meet a few new faces and enjoy the fishing beer and braai.
    Glynn Henry

Quote Originally Posted by GlynnH View Post
    Howzit all,

After a 12 year stint of living in denial in the UK, I've finally returned back to SA! So glad to be in a decent climate again.
    Hoping to meet a few new faces and enjoy the fishing beer and braai.
    Glynn Henry
    Welcome back Glynn/
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

wish I had the guts to move back, enjoy it.

I did it 4 years ago after 8 years in London and havent looked back. Really great to be back and the family are very happy
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

after 4 - 5 years on a waiting list I finally got accepted in to a small club to get about 1km access to a chalk stream in hertfordshire. Sjoe i miss the vaal and coast but i hope the stream will be productive. Beats paying £150+ for a day to fish a beat a long way from home

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
    after 4 - 5 years on a waiting list I finally got accepted in to a small club to get about 1km access to a chalk stream in hertfordshire. Sjoe i miss the vaal and coast but i hope the stream will be productive. Beats paying £150+ for a day to fish a beat a long way from home
    Ja, I know what you mean. Theres some amazing water in Wales. In Berkshire, the whitewater is 90 quid a year! s days a week and miles of water, cracking stream and excellent mayfly hatch. The coast can be very productive down south, especially at night but you wont melt your drag. My *** you have to put the effort in, not to mention the waterproof jackets , miles of tar and petrol price! Happytobehome.com

Hey Glynn. Welcome back. Been back 8 months now and loving it. Mind you I do live down in Durbs so can hit the saltwater whenever. Give me a shout if you pop down to Durbs will be good to hear some Bassas stories and maybe go fish some of the local spots around here (although I am still finding my feet on the FF side)

Cheers
    Julian
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
    The money I spent flyfishing in the UK I could have probably bought a small flat with here is SA. The most fun I had flyfishing whilst in the UK was on Farmoor resevoir. The one half is stocked with trophy fish and I dont know what they put in the water but every fish I hooked in that resevoir ran me into my backing. It was quite affordable to hire a boat and fish there for the day. We used to go up in a group and break for lunch but literally get there for opening time and leave after dusk. http://www.farmoor-reservoir.com/

The other thing I really enjoyed was catching chub on fly. There are a couple of old chalk streams around London. The Wandle and Hogsmill were close to where I used to live in Kingston. I used to pop down to the river after dinner in summer and fish from about 8pm until it got dark at about 10ish. They were probably just as much fun as catching trout and the best part was that it was free!
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Julz, I expect to travel down to durbs often so will plan those for a Friday :-)

Welcome home Glynn

You sound like me...
    Salty junky as far from the salt as is possible in SA...

Where abouts in Gauteng are you based?
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast