Thread: Ponta Milibangalala

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ponta Milibangalala

Hi Guys

I have an upcoming trip up to Mili in May for a fishing ski comp and was wondering if anyone has some GPS marks or advice for any of the reefs out there. I know this is a bit out of place on a fly fishing forum but I will be taking my secret weapons with (my 12 and 16 weight fly rods and hopefully they will give me the edge as it is a species challenge)

Any advice will do as I have never fished here before. Was hoping to probe some of the 15-20m reefs with a 500-700 grain line in search of some different species that the guys might not be able to target on bait and jigs etc.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau

Hi Julz,

It's one of my favorite spots on the planet. I'll link my report from the last year around this time below.
    I don't want to disappoint you but the off shore reefs and their resident dwellers have taken a systematic hammering over the last few years. Some of the outer reefs take a lot of hard work to find the remaining Kingies and swallow tails etc. That said when the king mackerel are around they still produce well on fly with the occasional wahoo and other surprises. The beach can actually be very productive with fly right in front of the camps. Casting even into an inch of water regularly produces Darts and Threadfins. They obviously aren't going to empty your reels but they fight brilliantly. When the rock ledges are exposed to the left they offer awesome fun. Pack your 8 or nine and have some fun while you aren't paddling.
    The darts there get rather big and save many tough days. Awesome little critters.

Dobela is also an excellent area for fly. If sea conditions aren't right, There are oxeye in the estuary and very large Tilapia. Just be careful of the crocodile he is there and I believe has taken people before. When he's on the shore front I have just backed the truck up and cast off that but most of the time Polaroid's expose him :-) Off dobela on the yak opens lots of opportunity for even an intermediate line or popping.

If you are launching in front of milli straight off the point produces Good Trevally. There are also still Jobfish around those closer Reefs that love mega clousers. At night towards the point is good fun. I hope the fish are in for you.

If its a comp however I'd suggest fly isn't potentially the most productive method especially as sea conditions there sometimes dictate.

------

Link
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/saltwater...-trip-moz.html
    Last edited by GlynnH; 26-04-13 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Glynn, speaking to some guys who have been up recently there are very few kingies with exception of the GT's. They mostly throw huge poppers on conventional gear to target them. If it wasnt for a comp I think I would take a 12wt with and give it a bash but time and space is going to be an issue. Might take a 9wt with if I can squeeze it in somewhere for fishing off the beach in the evenings.

Leaving on Wed cant wait!
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau