Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Multiplier fly reels.

Default Multiplier fly reels.

I started thinking more and more about MULTIPIER FLY REELS.
    (for those who dont know, it is were one turn of the handle, brings 1,5 or 2 or even 2,5 turns of the outer spool of the reel)
    It amazes me, that there are so few multiplier fly reels available.
    The one small draw back is a little bit of extra weight, but the advantages far outweigh this.
    Especially for the guys who fish for bigger fish in bigger water. SM yellows, Bigger still water trout, Sterkfontein etc.
    Image a large arbor reel, with multiplier.
    Have any other forumers considered Multiplier reels.
    Why are there so few around? Basically none in SA.

Are we so stuck in a rut, that the Direct drive reels, is the only way for us?
    Or are we being so spoonfed, to believe that Direct Drive reels is the only way to fish a fly with?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Give us some suitable examples of what you would use in typical South African conditions.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Give us some suitable examples of what you would use in typical South African conditions.
    as mentioned "bigger rivers", (Vaal, Orange.) fishing for SM or LM Yellows.
    Bigger dams- Sterkfontein and some of the trout venues.
    Saltwater

When large arbor reels came around, I recall a couple of guys saying "how great this is, because you pick up so much line"
    Large arbour is now almost a standard feature for reels.

Maybe in a couple of years, Multiplier reels will be much more common.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    as mentioned "bigger rivers", (Vaal, Orange.) fishing for SM or LM Yellows.
    Bigger dams- Sterkfontein and some of the trout venues.
    Saltwater

When large arbor reels came around, I recall a couple of guys saying "how great this is, because you pick up so much line"
    Large arbour is now almost a standard feature for reels.

Maybe in a couple of years, Multiplier reels will be much more common.
    I think you misunderstood me perhaps? Can you post some examples of the multipliers you'd fish now if you had the option of buying them?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

This looks like a nice option

Mario Geldenhuys

Some links from FlyReelMania ...

http://flyreelmania.free.fr/flyreel-Haart.htm

http://flyreelmania.free.fr/flyreel-Peux.htm

Still can't find a suitbale example for a #5. They all "mostly" look like it's for #6 and up.
    Mario Geldenhuys

The JMC Comet looks quite nice ...

http://www.angling-international.com...nee/jmc-comet/

The Comet’s weight of 155g balances perfectly most 9ft and 10ft fly rods for lines #3 to #6.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The JMC Comet looks quite nice ...

http://www.angling-international.com...nee/jmc-comet/

The Comet’s weight of 155g balances perfectly most 9ft and 10ft fly rods for lines #3 to #6.
    This seems like a very nice reel

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    This seems like a very nice reel
    More details on the Comet:
    http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-fly...met-51500.html

Even more from JMC - the Galaxy - bigger, with 3:1 gearing (80cm line per turn) but lighter than the Comet.

http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-fly...axy-61739.html

Now someone in SA just needs to drop 3k+ on a reel not tested in SA or on our fish...
    Last edited by GGY; 26-04-13 at 09:23 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Korrie

Multiplier reels or the need for them seems to be for those who deal with allot of line, implying that one needs the fish to run long and hard and when the opportunity presents itself the angler with his multiplier reel has the ability to win back some line.
    It is my opinion that fly line and particularly the resistance it has in the water when fighting fish assists us in tiring the fish out far faster than normal mono or braid, therefore we should use far less line to subdue a fish thus nullifying the need for a reel that gains or has the ability to bring in and let out line at a greater rate.

I’m sure one could also have a debate on tipper protection with a multiplier reel.

I’m content with the status quo
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast