Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone Angler's 2013 5 Weight Rod Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Jade, nice to bump into you in Rhodes. I absolutely love it. It really suits my style of nymphing with a long leader. It was designed for the purpose. Based on the way that you fish, I really dont think its going to be an ideal rod for you. Its quite specific in what it is for, and if you going to fish a single dry with medium to long casts, you could do better. The ESN isnt a particularly great rod to cast, although it does cast, as does any other rod, but its strong point, is its ability to accurately, even in moderate breeze, throw an extremely long leader, with the technique of keeping the leader off the water...like "leader to hand fishing", which is predominantly, the European style nymphing, which gave the ESN is name. So in short, is you have a preference as I do, for ESN style fishing... its an awaesome rod. If you have a preference for dry fly fishing, get a Circa.
    Thanks Andre, good to bump into you too. Due to location changes I have had to adapt my fishing style to suite the fish. So I have started nymphing hard for awhile now. I really appreciate the complexity of nymphing and enjoy doing it right (when I can). When I am in Rhodes I don't fish dry unless its to a feeding fish of considerable size. Otherwise, I becomes a pain to constantly redress a dry after every hook up. Its just a nightmare. I have some lovely dry rods, but for specific circumstances I would love a 4wt & 2wt 10foot ESN for nymphing, and then maybe a Circa 2wt for drys. That extra few feet I can imagine makes an excellent difference. I cant imagine that a 2wt 10 foot ESN would cast a single dry badly though?

Thanks again

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Yes, Im sure its a great rod, although I havent has the opportunity to test one on the water, I have read up, and have spoken to Peter mcGreggor who owns one and absolutely worships it. For me and my style of fishing at the moment, I dont think its going to be ideal. Its too short, and designed more to be a light "point and squirt" dry fly rod. I think if I was going to be spending most of my time fishing in this way, it would be perfect, but the way that I prefer to fish, a longer tip action rod like the ESN is perfect for me. It goes to show that not all rods are best for the fishing that you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    andre im sure you would love the sage circa then...sweet
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Ya, it doesnt do a dry fly badly, but an investment of 8K for a rod to do something other than what is was specifically designed for, seems a bit steep. I agree about the nymphing, but the ESN is particularly designed for a certain type of nymphing. If you going to nymph with a dry on dropper, or two nymphs on a short leader, with an indicator lying on the surface, then the ESN also isnt the rod for that, you could do that adequately with your dry fly rod. The ESN is particularly good for the style of nymphing where you making cast up to about 30 feet, with only the leader. it does it without any tip wobble to compromise accuracy. There are a few rods that can do this, but in it's niche, the ESN stands alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Thanks Andre, good to bump into you too. Due to location changes I have had to adapt my fishing style to suite the fish. So I have started nymphing hard for awhile now. I really appreciate the complexity of nymphing and enjoy doing it right (when I can). When I am in Rhodes I don't fish dry unless its to a feeding fish of considerable size. Otherwise, I becomes a pain to constantly redress a dry after every hook up. Its just a nightmare. I have some lovely dry rods, but for specific circumstances I would love a 4wt & 2wt 10foot ESN for nymphing, and then maybe a Circa 2wt for drys. That extra few feet I can imagine makes an excellent difference. I cant imagine that a 2wt 10 foot ESN would cast a single dry badly though?

Thanks again

J
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre

I would mostly use it for my attempt at Dynamic style nymphing, French or Spanish mostly, using a sighter. Thanks very much. Will drop you a PM

Pat Dorsey has a few words on the 2-weight ESN ...

"There were a few fish that started rising mid morning and I would typically just lob the nymphs just in front of them and hold the rod high to try to pick a few off but I decided to try a tapered leader with a larger stonefly pattern on the end to see if this rod would cast dries. To my surprise it cast amazingly well and is deadly accurate!!! As the day progressed, there was a little Baetis hatch that began so I paired down the tippet to 6X and tied on a #20 Parachute Adams and again, was amazed at how accurate and delicate this rod put down the fly!!!
    I never pictured fishing this rod with dries but it will do it and do it with style!!! Sure is nice to have a rod you can lob heavily weighted Czech nymphs with, fish super long French style leaders and then swith to dries when the need arises.

Here are my ratings for the Sage ESN 10' 2 weight:

French Method - 5 stars

Czech Method - 4 stars

Spanish Method - 3 stars

Dry Flies - 5 stars"
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for this Mario! Just what I was hoping!

I am in this heavy conundrum whether to purchase a 2wt ESN or Circa, but considering the SPL, I really want a ESN.

I might have to order a blank . . .

Ahhh... well there you go, almost the perfect all rounder then. Thanks Mario, quite a nice qoute from the man. Must say, I havent really tried the dry to any serious intent with my ESN, but good to know it will do it well if I ever feel the urge.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Pat Dorsey has a few words on the 2-weight ESN ...

"There were a few fish that started rising mid morning and I would typically just lob the nymphs just in front of them and hold the rod high to try to pick a few off but I decided to try a tapered leader with a larger stonefly pattern on the end to see if this rod would cast dries. To my surprise it cast amazingly well and is deadly accurate!!! As the day progressed, there was a little Baetis hatch that began so I paired down the tippet to 6X and tied on a #20 Parachute Adams and again, was amazed at how accurate and delicate this rod put down the fly!!!
    I never pictured fishing this rod with dries but it will do it and do it with style!!! Sure is nice to have a rod you can lob heavily weighted Czech nymphs with, fish super long French style leaders and then swith to dries when the need arises.

Here are my ratings for the Sage ESN 10' 2 weight:

French Method - 5 stars

Czech Method - 4 stars

Spanish Method - 3 stars

Dry Flies - 5 stars"

Yes, I don't really know what all the different names of nymphing are, but I think the French style is the one with the ultra long leader, and a sighter, keeping the entire length of the leader off the water, and guiding the drift and manipulating the flies directly with the rod tip. I use various forms of in line sighters that form part of the leader. Not sure about the Spanish method, although I have probably done it, just dont know what its called. Czech method, no problem, although very heavy flies probably wont behave too well on a 2 wt, but it's worth a try. I'm dying to try my ESN 2wt for yellows sometime soon.
    Thanks Andre

I would mostly use it for my attempt at Dynamic style nymphing, French or Spanish mostly, using a sighter. Thanks very much. Will drop you a PM

Thanks for this Mario! Just what I was hoping!

I am in this heavy conundrum whether to purchase a 2wt ESN or Circa, but considering the SPL, I really want a ESN.

I might have to order a blank . . .
    Since you already have some rods in the same action as the Circa, I personally would see it as a waste to get one. Talk to Dan when he comes back from LS, he also wants an ESN and maybe you can bring the blanks in together?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the tip Mario!

I will give DanF(?) a shout. I agree with you on the similar rods, so guess its ESN 1st!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.