Thread: lesotho escarpment hiking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default lesotho escarpment hiking

Speaking to some hard core hikers, i have noted a number of them have been doing some interesting things, for example, hiking from the SA side of the berg to places like Mokhotlong and Molumong, then catching a taxi back to underberg. This kind of trip will take you past the headwaters of some of lesotho's best trout streams (senqu & khubelu). These people are not fly fishers, but there have been reports of some pretty big fish (can only be trout really). I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for someone into fly fishing to do this kind of trip, as it would be pretty much impossible to reach these waters anyother way (even wiht a 4x4).

Anyone on this forum into hiking (especially extreem hiking). I was thinking of a trip as follows:

Day 1: Mweni Cultural Centre up the Ntonjelana river camping at the base of rockeries pass. Added bonus I recall seeing brown trout in the Ntonjelana river in my school days ... but not heard any trout reports from this area for many years.

Day 2: Up Rockeries pass and find the source of the senqu river. Hike hard down the upper senqu (google earth looks like the river starts getting pretty touty 15 - 20 km in)

Day 3 Fish the senqu

Day 4/5: fish a bit and hard hike back to rockaries & down to MCC.

(would also be an option to hike to Mokhotlong/sleep over and catch taxi to underberg, would require the logistics of getting back to MCC though)

Any one very fit and properly equipped that would be insane enough to try something like this (probably around septermber/october) pm me.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

UmmmJaaa...

My legs and lungs are hurting for you okes...

Just came back from that side of town after spending 4 days there...
    Honestly, for me just looking up at those cliffs scared the fitness out of me.

Picked up two coffee table digests with photos from all of the major peaks and valleys and I must say it is truly a very special place.

Enjoy!
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

hehe, ja, the truth is this kind of thing is more about the hiking than the fishing ... views are pretty spectacular too

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    UmmmJaaa...

My legs and lungs are hurting for you okes...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Ja, just looking at the coffee table books and some of the pic's of guys standing on the peaks watching the sun come up above the cloud cover makes you need to see it once in your life with your own eyes...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Adrian, you mean like the three photos at the end of the gallery...
    http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/04...o-fly-fishing/

I'd love to get involved in a trip like this...only with a little more fishing
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Fred, that's it! Makes you feel really small...

The two books I picked up are called Barrier of Spears and Encounters with the Dragon.

I am not sure who the books are by, but can check if anyone wants...
    Some gut wrenching stories and pics about some of the succesfull record attempts and some that didn't work out...

I can only imagine crawling out of the tent to this...
    http://www.witness.co.za/portal/witn...rga%200202.jpg
    Regards
    Adrian