Thread: So where to next..

Default So where to next..

Hi All,

I've been trawling the forum for a while now (or is it deaddrifting??) and the info is absolutely awesome.

I've been fly fishing for around 10 years but have only recently ventured off the trout path - specifically into on-shore fly fishing. Only a mountain o' trout and a solitary large mouth bass landed as yet though.

I have a question: I've gotten to a point in terms of casting, fly presentation and fly tying where i feel books can take me (through no fault of the books, but more a personal need to learn by experience rather than reading). I'd love to shall we say, take it to the next level? Are there any fly fishing clubs around the jo'burg area where one can talk to and learn from some knowledgeable dudes / dudettes about casting technique(s), and all the real interesting stuff (leader - tippet knots, spey casting, best places for different species etc etc) that comes with this frustrating yet unending fascinating and fulfilling sport? or is the answer a guided trip?

any help, most welcome.

JHH

Go chat to the guys at Frontier. Immense saltwater experience there! Take your CC with
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Hi All,

I've been trawling the forum for a while now (or is it deaddrifting??) and the info is absolutely awesome.

I've been fly fishing for around 10 years but have only recently ventured off the trout path - specifically into on-shore fly fishing. Only a mountain o' trout and a solitary large mouth bass landed as yet though.

I have a question: I've gotten to a point in terms of casting, fly presentation and fly tying where i feel books can take me (through no fault of the books, but more a personal need to learn by experience rather than reading). I'd love to shall we say, take it to the next level? Are there any fly fishing clubs around the jo'burg area where one can talk to and learn from some knowledgeable dudes / dudettes about casting technique(s), and all the real interesting stuff (leader - tippet knots, spey casting, best places for different species etc etc) that comes with this frustrating yet unending fascinating and fulfilling sport? or is the answer a guided trip?

any help, most welcome.

JHH
    Every Tuesday night here at UFF we have a social fly tying evening, some of the participants have years of FF experience and some are novices.
    Each week we are introduced to a new fly and learn how it's fished as well as how it is tied, around this there are drinks and chats and some knowledge is always passed on also trips for the future are planned and general social activities too, you are more than welcome to join us.

Gordon van der Spuy leads the class most often and if work commitments keep him away then he always finds some one knowledgeable and interesting to sub for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Hi All,

any help, most welcome.

JHH
    Every Tuesday night here at UFF we have a social fly tying evening, some of the participants have years of FF experience and some are novices.
    Each week we are introduced to a new fly and learn how it's fished as well as how it is tied, around this there are drinks and chats and some knowledge is always passed on also trips for the future are planned and general social activities too, you are more than welcome to join us.

Gordon van der Spuy leads the class most often and if work commitments keep him away then he always finds some one knowledgeable and interesting to sub for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simpkins View Post
    Every Tuesday night here at UFF we have a social fly tying evening,
    Excellent! is that the shop in @ cedar square?

oops, confusing FFU with UFF...will definitely try and get there.