Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: brookwood trout lodge

Default brookwood trout lodge

Hey all, so Saterday was the 2nd time ive been to this trout farm and I would just like to express how much I enjoyed it there! This is one of the nicest places iv been to, it is well stocked, reasonably priced and well looked after.. The first time I got there we had some trouble catching fish but at the end of the day I got a small 800g rainbow that took a brassie with an orange bead...strange I know... At first it was dissapointing but I quickly took the effort on tying some flies that I thought would HAVE to perform the next time I go.. So my better half an I took a drive down there Satday morning and I hooked up two rainbows with a white wooly bugger.. In the time that we were there two monster brown trout came out where one was just under 3kg and the other weighed 3.1kg!! Both were caught on wooly buggers, white and an olive coloured one. Then just as we were leaving a guy hooked on to a brown trout that was over 1kg and also on an olive coloured fly.. I made the conclusion that in the morning the fish were taking on white flies but come afternoon they were more in to the olive green coloured flies.. Would this be a safe assumption to make?? Is there any one else ppl who has had a lot of luck on a specific fly?

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with Brookwood trout farm!

Good on ya mates!

Cheers

G

Talking

If i had to catch a 3kg trout at Brookwood, I would cut my line off,
    That can get expensive

Ya I agree. It is a very nice venue but man one can get yourself into some serious financial trouble there....

I have heard of a 12.5 kg carp coming out of the bottome dam...

For sure!! @R50 per person for the day and R65 per kg trout it can get a bit pricey.. I reckon he paid R200 for that fish and it wasnt the only one he caught for the day.. But all in all its worth it..

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Hey all, so Saterday was the 2nd time ive been to this trout farm and I would just like to express how much I enjoyed it there! This is one of the nicest places iv been to, it is well stocked, reasonably priced and well looked after.. The first time I got there we had some trouble catching fish but at the end of the day I got a small 800g rainbow that took a brassie with an orange bead...strange I know... At first it was dissapointing but I quickly took the effort on tying some flies that I thought would HAVE to perform the next time I go.. So my better half an I took a drive down there Satday morning and I hooked up two rainbows with a white wooly bugger.. In the time that we were there two monster brown trout came out where one was just under 3kg and the other weighed 3.1kg!! Both were caught on wooly buggers, white and an olive coloured one. Then just as we were leaving a guy hooked on to a brown trout that was over 1kg and also on an olive coloured fly.. I made the conclusion that in the morning the fish were taking on white flies but come afternoon they were more in to the olive green coloured flies.. Would this be a safe assumption to make?? Is there any one else ppl who has had a lot of luck on a specific fly?

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with Brookwood trout farm!

Good on ya mates!

Cheers

G

Were you (and others) fishing deep with sinking lines? What tactics?
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

It's not a bad way to get a few for the pot, sure you can probably get them cheaper at a supermarket but you don't get to enjoy the fun of catching them.

mmm I'm thinking it's about time I made some smoked trout pate.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBarbus View Post
    Were you (and others) fishing deep with sinking lines? What tactics?
    Yeah we were all fishing "or that I asked" deep, sinking line and fast retrieves! When I was there I was told that the day before they had stocked the dams with rainbows and brown trout which makes sense because the two fish I caught were small but exactly the same in size.. Something that is very nice about the dam is that as soon as you hook up a guy runs up and helps you net the fish, he then gives you a number "if you dont already have one" and takes the fish away. Everytime you then hook up you just give the bloke your number and thats it. When you leave to pick your fish you give them your number, they get you fish and you pay. The nice thing is, your fish has then in the meanwhile already been gutted, cleaned and nicely vacuum packed for you to take home!

Very prof indeed

nice to see some positive feedback.... greatr stuff that.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

I can understand that a f/f venue on Joburgs front porch would be an attractive option to some.
    I however do not understand the mind set of the catch and keep fisherman, especially at R65 per kilo. Yes you caught it yourself and enjoyed the thrill of the catch, the fight and bringing it in. But you don't even get to land your own fish, someone else does it, probably to make sure that you don't slip the hook and accidentally release the fish.
    It was mentioned that one fish probably cost R200 and there were more in the bag. Lets say his outing set him back R 500 , entry costs included.
    There are numerous places within 2 hours drive where you can take the whole famdamily for a good day out, catch trout and or yellows and have enough change to buy your trout for supper at Woolies.
    Flame me if you wish, but as I said, I do not understand the mind set.
    Maybe someone can enlighten me ????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Ha ha... So they have even gone to the lengths of netting the fish for you... They obviously realise guys come out for the day, land one or two to take home and "accidentally" lose the rest..... But no more, because now they "kind" enough to net it for you..

lakka
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast