Thread: How to safely handle trout

Default How to safely handle trout

This is a picture of a brilliant Brown caught recently on the Smalblaar in the Western Cape. The picture has caused (rightly so) an uproar on the way that the fish was handled. It is not likely that this beautiful specimen will be caught again either as a result of the complete disregard for the fish alternatively through a lack of knowledge on how to handle fish properly.

970829_10151602414127258_605877353_n.jpg

A few pointers perhaps:

1. Fight the fish as quickly as possible once hooked
    2. Use a knotless net
    3. Keep the fish in the water
    4. NEVER place the fish on the ground, rocks etc (it destroys their protective slime coat. The slime coat is one of the fish's main defences against infection and disease)
    5. Use barbless hooks for an easy release
    6. If taking a pic of your catch do it as quickly as possible and always return the fish to the net between pics. (Fish cant breathe out of water)
    7. Revive the fish before returning it to the water.
    8. Make sure that the fish does not go and sulk in a position where it might be easy pray
    9. Handle the fish with care. Don't squeeze the fish.

Blog Entries

Thanks for this Jean. The education is always good!

Please don't use Bogies on trout or yellows (LM & SM)

Especially, no gaffs!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Beautiful fish, must be close to 20 inches. Only people who know the fishes chance of survival are those that where there ...
    Not the best example of how to handle fish though, good tips on how to do better however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Landing and Releasing Fish - By Lefty Kreh and TFO

http://templeforkrods.wordpress.com/...eleasing-fish/
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 16-05-13 at 06:02 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

nice link, especially wrt to boga's. Nothing gets my goat like seeing people abusing fish with boga's. I have to count to 10 slowly to stop myself from lip-gripping the people i see doing this.

Aside from issues of ettiquette and fish care, the photo above is just so $%^& ugly. fish gasping on the bank next to a boot ... who wants to see that. When the conservationists have finnished tarring and feathering the dude, i reckon the photograhic police shoud beat him with his camera ... ffs no effort, no composition, no art
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    nice link, especially wrt to boga's. Nothing gets my goat like seeing people abusing fish with boga's. I have to count to 10 slowly to stop myself from lip-gripping the people i see doing this.

Aside from issues of ettiquette and fish care, the photo above is just so $%^& ugly. fish gasping on the bank next to a boot ... who wants to see that. When the conservationists have finnished tarring and feathering the dude, i reckon the photograhic police shoud beat him with his camera ... ffs no effort, no composition, no art
    Agreed even if he did not know how to handle the fish, the photo still says it all!! Cringe when I think that he probably waited for the fish to stop flapping about so that he can take his pic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    A few pointers perhaps:

1. Fight the fish as quickly as possible once hooked
    2. Use a knotless net
    3. Keep the fish in the water
    4. NEVER place the fish on the ground, rocks etc (it destroys their protective slime coat. The slime coat is one of the fish's main defences against infection and disease)
    5. Use barbless hooks for an easy release
    6. If taking a pic of your catch do it as quickly as possible and always return the fish to the net between pics. (Fish cant breathe out of water)
    7. Revive the fish before returning it to the water.
    8. Make sure that the fish does not go and sulk in a position where it might be easy pray
    9. Handle the fish with care. Don't squeeze the fish.
    maybe another point to add:
    10. Turn the fish upside down in the water, ie belly up.

I don't know if anyone else does this, but you will be amazed at how still the fish lies, it barely moves. Works wonders to take the hook out and/or to prep for a quick photo... I always do this and as soon as you pop it back, its lively again. Got this from watching some other shark program and saw what happened to the sharks once turned upside down tried it on a yellow and was amazed...
    Last edited by MR.GT; 16-05-13 at 04:53 PM.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post

I don't know if anyone else does this, but you will be amazed at how still the fish lies, it barely moves. Works wonders to take the hook out and/or to prep for a quick photo... I always do this and as soon as you pop it back, its lively again. Got this from watching some other shark program and saw what happened to the sharks once turned upside down tried it on a yellow and was amazed...
    Usually when they are belly up it's too late hey
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post

Tom Sutcliffe showed me this trick a couple of years ago.

when holding a trout, put the small finger behind the pelvic fins and the ring finger in front of the pelvic fin.
    It is amazing how still a trout becomes when you hold it at this point.
    A little trick I learnt from Pascal Cognard.
    Have a look at this photo. a bit of small fish, but it works great for bigger fish as well
    It probably has something to do with the swivel point or such of the body of the fish, in the swimming motion
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-05-13 at 09:24 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension