Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem with Wooly Buggers...

Default The problem with Wooly Buggers...

This is my best fly for dams/stillwaters by a mile.
    My main frustration is that the tail wraps around the hook bend all the time,which forces me to check the fly after every cast.Is this my casting technique or is there a way to prevent it?

You can tie a small amount of bucktail down before you tie in the tail. Another option is to tie in a mono loop which will prevent wrapping.
    Mike Mitchley

Blog Entries

Apply a drop of superglue/silicone/clear adhesive just after the hook bend.
    Here's Liam's SBS showing the mono loop method.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...-Woolly-Bugger
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 19-05-13 at 08:30 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

The other alternative as we do for saltwater flies is to lash a small section of the marabou tail.

What I mean by this is wrapping your tying thread around the base of the tail to stiffen that section.
    You can then set the angle at whatever you like.
    I personally find this is a better method than superglue which weakens the section markedly.

As Buzz and Muddler have already mentioned, there are a few methods you can use to alleviate this problem, it's your choice. The bucktail or slightly stiffer material tied under is a good idea, but sometimes is not practical for a particular pattern.

The only other suggestion is using a shorter, but thicker pinch of marabou tail.
    Still have the movement, but not an overly long tail.

Good luck mate.

thanks guys,excellent advice i will try..i like this mono loop method

Adding flash to the tail somehow reduces the amount of tail wraps. Maybe its because the marabou has something slightly stiffer to guide it.

It is not as effective as the mono loop (which i also prefer) but it can be a nice compromise which entails much less effort.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Try to tie the Marabou as far back as possible, this also reduces the tail wrap.
    For me, the odd wrap is a small price to pay, for the extra movement, a marabou tail has, without all the extra "preventitive measures".
    check it every now and again. As one of my Czech friends said, a crippled dragon or fish, don't swim straight, so maybe the wrap is a imitation of a cripple fish or dragon.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Sometimes the tail wrapping is an advantage, it can make the fly move erratically, like a woulded tadpole or something. I have caught many fish on a fly while the tail was wrapped. Doesnt really worry me.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I tie a small loop under the tail with mono. It helps!

You can also tie some fluoro fibre in under the marabou. It also acts as a hotspot for your fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast