Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Retrieve,

Default The Retrieve,

With the winter months on us, most of us, will be doing more still waters, the next couple of months.
    I chatted to a couple of fly fishers about this the other day, and it was very obvious the retrieves that they will be using was limited to 2 or 3 different types.

The retrieves and combintation of retrieves are probably one of the most overlooked facets of still water fishing.
    Sometimes the combination of retrieves and here, I am refering to not only 1 or 2 but sometimes a combination of 5 or 6 retrieves in a single retrieve of the fly line and fly lines will confince the fish to take the fly.

I will list some of the retrieves and in due course, discuss the retrieves as the and when I find some time.

1. Figure 8 retrieve and variations.
    2. single hand retrieve, short to very long
    3. Rolly poly
    4. The NO-Retrieve. Letting your flies just hang without moving them,
    5. The hang and the lift.
    6. The double speed retrieve.

I will add some more tomorrow, or if you want to add, a couple, please feel free.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The "Earratic" retrieve.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Yep I'd go for the "Erratic" retrieve with an added speedup using short twitches of the rod tip to exaggerate the movement.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    With the winter months on us, most of us, will be doing more still waters, the next couple of months.
    I chatted to a couple of fly fishers about this the other day, and it was very obvious the retrieves that they will be using was limited to 2 or 3 different types.

The retrieves and combintation of retrieves are probably one of the most overlooked facets of still water fishing.
    Sometimes the combination of retrieves and here, I am refering to not only 1 or 2 but sometimes a combination of 5 or 6 retrieves in a single retrieve of the fly line and fly lines will confince the fish to take the fly.

I will list some of the retrieves and in due course, discuss the retrieves as the and when I find some time.

1. Figure 8 retrieve and variations.
    2. single hand retrieve, short to very long
    3. Rolly poly
    4. The NO-Retrieve. Letting your flies just hang without moving them,
    5. The hang and the lift.
    6. The double speed retrieve.

I will add some more tomorrow, or if you want to add, a couple, please feel free.
    I will normally try all the above with a couple more thrown in for good measure. My plan of action will normally be to try each on their own depending on the retrieve or as a combination. Once I have found a retrieve that starts to work consistently I will stick to it. If i find it is starting to become less successful I will start from the beginning again.

Like you said the retrieve is SO crucial, I often see guys fishing with one retrieve and never changing it.

People do seem to at times forget how important the retrieve is!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Mr T, you still fishing boet? We need to organize another Lakies mission or at least visit that place that you found that 7lb'er
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Mr T, you still fishing boet? We need to organize another Lakies mission or at least visit that place that you found that 7lb'er
    Always have and always will bro, once we have had some rain I think we venture up that river
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

The combination of retrieves are probably the most overlooked retrieve.
    I am of the opinion, that if fly fishers use a combination of retrieves on a cast, they will find that they catch a lot more fish.
    a couple of combination examples will be on a single retrieve, a couple of slow figure 8's going into a couple of fast figure 8's. stop for 2 or 3 seconds, then 2 or 3 short extended continous retrieves. followed by 2 or 3 long retreives. with a stop for sometimes up to 10 seconds. follow that up with 4 or 5 very fast figure 8's immediately going into a very long continous strip, repeated 2 or 3 times. then stopping for another 8 to 10 seconds. Lifting the rod, jiggling the flies thru the water column, then holding the flies for another 10 seconds, follow that with some figure 8s fast and slow.
    Try and remember what you are doing and when the fish is taking the flies. once you have picked up the pattern when the fish is taking the fly, try and repeat that more in your next cast's retrieve. Many fly fishers think that it is the single action that enticed the fish into taking the fly, but you will be surprised, how many times, you will find that it is the combination of the previous 10 seconds that made up the fishes mind to eventually take the fly.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Jerk strip retrieve. :wink:

Ps. Korrie I'm amazed you've progressed this far with this thread ito adding content I'm still waiting to read about your theories on coloured hooks?????
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 22-05-13 at 10:53 PM.

My Dad's go to: long slow strips with thumb from stripping hand on line and use thumb to jerk line intermittently. I find this very effective too.

My Brother in Law's go to: Squeeze fly line between thumb and forefinger of rod holding hand then strip slowly with other hand. This makes the line bounce and vibrate which i guess imparts very erratic movement to the fly.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    My Dad's go to: long slow strips with thumb from stripping hand on line and use thumb to jerk line intermittently. I find this very effective too.

My Brother in Law's go to: Squeeze fly line between thumb and forefinger of rod holding hand then strip slowly with other hand. This makes the line bounce and vibrate which i guess imparts very erratic movement to the fly.
    I have wondered many times about the method as per your last sentence. Surely the sound and vibrations etc must travel along the fly line either, attracking the fish or scaring them off.
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast