Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite flies for yellows

Default Favourite flies for yellows

I started this thread under Flytying but it should probably be here. In a couple of weeks I will be off to fish the Orange again after a break of about 2 years. I have fished it many times before and had good success with a variety of flies from green rock worms to zak's to woolly buggers.

I would like to know what flies have worked well for you on the Vaal or Orange ?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

See my comment on the other thread.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

ZAK!, in any shape, from, style, etc.
    and dont over look, Blood Worm

and any emerger patern, including CDC and Seals Fur, tied to the dropper as a point fly, about 12-30 inch's back. this gives it extra movement.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Default Favourite yellow flies

Hi Darryl

Orange hotspot, then something like a caddis in olive, but with an orange bead thrown in as well. Last November on the Orange we also had a lot of success with bloodworm patterns, the ones tied with beads and a short, red marabou tail. I will see if I can add a picture of the caddis, I will also add one of the hotspot, tied on a circle hook and tungsten bead, worked very well to get it down quickly and snagging on the rocks were almost non-existent with the circle hook.

Hope this helps, will be interesting to hear back from you when you return from the trip.

Regards

howzit
    yes, large zaks definitely because it seems the largies also like them (up to #8). I had good success with a floating adams after getting very annoyed with yellows rising behind me while working towards midstream. I would weight the adams for czech style fishing but every now and then remove the splitshot and cast behind me to pick up those sneaky f'ers behind my back. By this time the fly would be well soaked and tends to sink very slowly, but normally I kept it at about 15cm below the surface. the one I used resembled a very large version of the gnats (?) of which there were so many at times it looked like pollution clouds over the water. sorry, not an insectomologist )
    whatever they are , they invariably end up being called "bliksemse muggies".
    enjoy it!!

ps. I know it's great fun pulling out hundreds of fish in a day, but rather than running straight for the main rapids like most people, try working the backwaters - its awesome. you must try and get across to the islands - there are plenty channels at the back where one could almost imagine hooking a tiger or two. I carried my croc upstream to quiet water and quickly crossed the river to do some fishing in Namibia!
    Last edited by will101; 26-10-06 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    sorry, not an insectomologist )
    whatever they are , they invariably end up being called "bliksemse muggies".
    enjoy it!!
    That'd be an entomologist!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Darryl, for me on the Vaal it has to be:
    Orange Hotspot
    Cream Caddis
    Black Nymph
    Brassie
    Bloodworm ( san Juan)
    Emerger ( olive )

Hope this helps.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks very much for all the replies guys, will let you know how it went when I get back.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Orange hotspot, then something like a caddis in olive, but with an orange bead thrown in as well.
    Those are great little flys, please give us the recipe for the first one, on the Circle Hook...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Darryl, for me on the Vaal it has to be:
    Orange Hotspot
    Cream Caddis
    Black Nymph
    Brassie
    Bloodworm ( san Juan)
    Emerger ( olive )

Hope this helps.
    Herman, next time you go out, try an atomic worm instead of a San Juan.
    Daryl Human

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast