Thread: Vice question

Question Vice question

Morning all

I bought one of those fly tying starter kits last year and it has served me well, but I have found that my hooks, especially the bigger saltwater ones (#2 and 1/0) (bigger than trout and yellow hooks) tend to slip now and again. I can not recall that it did this in the beginning. Now my question is, am I applying more pressure to the thread or is my vice nearing the end. The jaws of the vice is still in mint condition, so can it be the actual spring mechanism? If it is the vice, can you service it?

Thanks

Kreef
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Good morning Kreef

All vices requires some maintenance from time to time. What normally happens is that varnish from the freshwater hooks collect on the inside of the jaws and this causes the hooks to slip. I would suggest that you strip the vice and clean the jaws thoroughly with a solvent.

Cheers
    MC

Default Solvent?

Hi MCC

Thanks for the reply. Would something like turpentine or cutex remover suffice?

Kreef
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Hi there

Yes, that would work.

If the vice is something like the old Sunrise clamp model, then it could also be that the washers between the clamp arm and mounting, is worn.

Cheers
    MC