Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: A New experimental fly.

My mind have really been spinning the whole afternoon, with the possibilities.
    a. do you tie the glostick with dark colors?
    b. do you tie the glostick with light colors?
    c. how much movement should the fly have?
    d. do you cover most of the glostick with material, so that the glows "thru the material"?
    e. have lots of movement, with i.e. dark material, and you strip the fly, and it "folds over the glow stick" and opens up, when the fly stops, you could have a pulsating light effect.

I think I will have to tie quite a few different models.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

hey guys...been a while but good to see some interesting chats again...

Daniel has tried the glow stick vibe in flies for trout last year at a Jhb venue.
    granted, the only ones he found were rather large and that may have been the issue, but after a few casts flies with glow in the dark properties did quite well, but nothing on the light stick.

we fished a session from 10pm to 12am and all fish came out on black flies with glow in the dark chenille or lots of hackle to push water...

will be interesting to see how this works out for you Korrie. i definitely think that idea would work a treat for walla walla in the harbours at night and the kingies around the ledges, especially in off colour water...

you could even attach the glow stick to your popper at night which could be bl00dy exciting
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Tiger fish are the most destructive. Mostly, it's one hit, and the fly is fisnished. It's unusual for a fly to last any length of time. We found that the best material for tigers, was synthetic hair. Bucktail just got noshed completely, very quickly. The synthetic hair seemed to last a few extra casts.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Another question regarding fly durability ... I suppose in lakes for trout the flies are not going to be hammered too much, but in the salt - on average, how long does the average fly last and how much is it re-used?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The idea of adding glow sticks/luminescent material to a fly is not new.

Over in NZ the guys used to use a glow in the dark material called Aurora Skirt-
    Awesome stuff!

The best way to charge it was not from your usual headlamp, but a camera flash.
    You could pick up cheap flashes for a few dollars.
    The guys would put the flash inside their jackets and give the fly a couple of quick zaps and you'd be left with something that glowed like Yoda's light sabre from Star Wars.

I have also used this material for salt water flies.
    Surf candy type patterns where the material is encased.
    This would add a level of protection to the fly for those bitie species.
    Tailor (shad), wahoo, spanish mackeral etc

Obviously it wouldn't work if you're going to encase a glow stick as it loses its spark after a few hours.
    (This is a chemical reaction as opposed to a specific material.)

It does work well the idea of adding luminescent material though.

On a side note:
    Over here in Sydney (east coast) at the moment there is a lot of interest in pinning a mulloway on fly.
    They do it often enough over on the western coast (Perth) side.
    Similar species to the Daga salmon you find in Cape waters and Natal.

The Sydney guys will no doubt be reading this and thinking hmmmmm.......
    I'll read about this on one of the Aussie forums soon I'm guessing.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 05-06-13 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add shit

Up in Kenya we used light sticks to troll for broadbill swordfish at night. The light stick is threaded on to the line & the squid bait attached around it. You can do something similar with a tube fly. Thread the tube fly onto the tippet first, then the light stick, then the hook. In this way the light stick fits inside the tube fly. If your light sticks are solid ie you can't thread them on a line then tie them onto a section of plastic tubing (perhaps that used for cotton buds) & thread that onto the line.
    Mike Mitchley

Yeah, Kev is onto it. We use aurora skirt strips when night fishing the lakes at Taupo and Rotorua. Rainbows love lumo flies, the theory is that browns don't like them so much, but I have caught browns on lumos as well. The standard fly used is the doll fly, it is really simple and the materials used don't incorporate much movement. But as long as you keep the fly moving rainbows are attracted. Here's a link

I have used lumo flies on rivers after dark and that works too. I particularly remember one summer's evening on a rainbow river where the trout were taking hatching caddis on dark. I was catching the odd fish on dries skated down and across, but after a time the blackness set in and I could no longer see the rises and was missing takes. On impulse I tied on a lumo doll fly, charged it with my torch and cast it across and down. long story short, I caught 5 trout between 4 and 6lbs on that fly from the one pool. There you go, one of my dirtiest secrets revealed. :wink:
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks for all the feed back.

I tied a Zonker with a lumo body, a Fritz with a dark color, a Dragon booby.
    The little tubes does float,(little bubble of air in the plastic) another little thing to remember, when you are fishing it.
    Tonight some more flies.
    The first prototypes, the lumo tubes, have been tied directly onto the hook, as it is much easier to do, and the hooks will be easy to cut clean, should this experiment fail.

Between all the packets I grabbed, there are smaller tubes than the one in the scan, about half the size. some more possibilities.
    I am wondering, if you fish this lumo bead, in areas were there are fireflies and glow worms, if trout will take it as one of the insects.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Another question regarding fly durability ... I suppose in lakes for trout the flies are not going to be hammered too much, but in the salt - on average, how long does the average fly last and how much is it re-used?
    Depends. I try not to reuse a salty fly after a couple of months of its first use - just don't know whats happening to the shank under the dressing in terms of rust etc...

If you're fishing to toothy critters, its over quickly but also depends on the material used to tie. I find the EPs and SF fibre blends far more durable in terms been cut up but sharp toothed fish when compared to natural materials. Or a triggerfish will mash a crab fly beyond reuse pretty much every time it eats one but you can catch 100 bones on the same fly.

But my biggest concern is losing a quality fish because of rust under the dressing so I toss flies after a couple of months of use.

Korrie, how did this experiment turn out? Any joy?

Hi, not too good, but then I did not fish it a lot.
    Everytime, I have fished the still waters, the water was so clean and the sky very bright. (strange how you go and fish, for 2 or 3 seasons, and it is rainy, cloudy or the water discolored, then you have this new fly and every time you go and fish, crystal clear waters, sunny skies etc)

Waiting for some cloudy days, or water with a bit of color, or an evening or 2, with no moon etc.
    Have a couple in the fly box for such days.
    will let you know.
    Korrie Broos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4