Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange river drift

Default Orange river drift

Something I have never done before, is a drift down the Orange, so decided to do one, which I will be doing with my eldest son, now 16. Will be going fron the 5th to 10 July from the Amanzi concession, just downstream of Vioolsdrift, to the Fish river confluence. The river looks to be very low, and unless it fills up a bit, it looks like we might be schlepping canoes down many of the shallew runs. However, its good largie time, so hopefully will be a productive trip. Will kleep you posted.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Thanks awesome have a great trip.

I have done a few drifts and they are absolutely glutinous.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Andre

Facinating, I have wanted to do a drift down the Orange myself, but the thought of doint it in the winter has never crossed my mind.

Verry keen to hear how it was. Good luck.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Amazing that you have taken so many tours up to the Richtersveld, fished the Orange so many times, helping other people at the Orange etc.
    For the first time, you will be catered for, people running around for you.

PLUS, going over all the good fishing waters, will totally P!ZZ you OFF!!!!!
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I know, but its mostly about spending time with the eldest son. My youngest son is going to Serbia on a waterpolo tour..Made the SA under 14 team... we very proud of him. Anyway, while Matthews away in Serbia, Michael and I have hired a river guide, and booked the tour. Its going to be great, as it will only be the 2 of us plus the guide, and I have specifically booked a guide that fishes... So we can fish, and the river buide can cook and serve us drinks. its going to feel different being up there and have someone else do all the work...cant wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Amazing that you have taken so many tours up to the Richtersveld, fished the Orange so many times, helping other people at the Orange etc.
    For the first time, you will be catered for, people running around for you.

PLUS, going over all the good fishing waters, will totally P!ZZ you OFF!!!!!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, I am sure you are going to have an absolute blast.
    I went rowing that stretch with Amanzi trails on Easter Weekend - my first time on the Orange. Being Easter Weekend and with the water level low as it was, there were lots of 'traffic jams' above some rapids as rowers had to go down single-file. I made good use of this waiting time to get a line in the water and was seldom disappointed. Not many fish over 1kg, but countless 6-8 inchers of which at least 1 in 4 was a little largie! Wading knee-deep with no shoes in some places, they swarm all around you and start nibbling at your feet.

Andre it is a GREAT trip, I have done it with both Felix and Amanzi.

There is plenty of really nice water along the way and I have had some really amazing fishing. Both companies do a great trip and cater really well, the food is top notch!

Enjoy you are going to have an amazing trip!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Howzit Matt? ya, I was reccommended to them by Mark K, who knows a thing or two about this type of thing... I cant wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Andre it is a GREAT trip, I have done it with both Felix and Amanzi.

There is plenty of really nice water along the way and I have had some really amazing fishing. Both companies do a great trip and cater really well, the food is top notch!

Enjoy you are going to have an amazing trip!

Hahaha funny that, he also recommended it to me and I have now been twice

One thing you must do is ask for a guide that enjoys fishing, it is what we did, he ensured we had maximum time to fish and got us to the best spots!

Super jealous, you going to have a great trip!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Yup...done that....The guide we are getting is a fisherman. We made sure of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Hahaha funny that, he also recommended it to me and I have now been twice

One thing you must do is ask for a guide that enjoys fishing, it is what we did, he ensured we had maximum time to fish and got us to the best spots!

Super jealous, you going to have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast