Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orange river drift

We had a really awesome time. The river looked to be in good condition, with viz at about 1m, but very cold. The drifting and paddling was great. We covered about 60km in the 4 days, and had time to fish. The fishing was slow, but we did get about 12 yellowfish between my son and I, with one really huge at about 8pounds I would guess. One of my biggest yellows yet. Definatly not the time of year for yellows in numbers, but it was good to see places in the Richtersveld that i havent seen before.
    We will definatly do this again.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the report back Andre. Were the yellows all Large Mouth ?

How about some pics please .
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Herman
    All smallmouth, except for one muddie and one barbel. No largies unfortunatly, although we did see a few working the pools around sunset, but couldnt catch them. Managed a yellow on dry while drifting through a large flat section, which was the highlight of the fishing bit. Most fish were in the slower sections and deep. The water is still way too cold, and the yellows that we did get, were lathargic and had no fight. even the big one I caught, which was dissapointing. It had some attitude for a few seconds, then seemed to give up and I simply reeled him in...even on the 4wt, it seemed like a large wet towel that was on the end of the line....Yellows are definately a summer fish. Photos...ok, will see what I have. Very few of the fishing, but some nice pics of the scenery. I dont tend to take too many pics of fish anymore, as I have literally thousands of photos of fish from the Orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Thanks for the report back Andre. Were the yellows all Large Mouth ?

How about some pics please .
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Anyone done this trip recently? Going to do the 5day drift over Easter this year with Amanzi Trails, super excited.
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

Did a self guided paddle, fish and camp further downstream in October (between De Hoop and Sendelingsdrift).

Water was extremely low, but was still able to paddle without too much trouble. Our double kayaks need more portaging than inflatables anyway. Fishing was extremely good. Heard that the water levels dropped further since then, but don't have a recent flow update. Amanzi is good and very friendly. Have paddled with them before and also used their camp as a base for our unguided "expeditions" Fishing is good at almost every rapid from Amanzi downstream. Don't know what to expect over Easter, always been there in Sept/Oct., except that the raftering / paddling outfits are normally quite active then. From Amanzi, first 3 days downstream is the busiest part of the river, but that shouldn't impact on the fishing. I've hooked yellows out from between a huge group paddling crocks right through "my" rapid. Day 4 & 5 should be quieter. Jealous. Enjoy and post pictures & report please.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

I did a drift between Xmas and New Year. The water was really low and a lot of portage. Fishing was excellent. Find the first deeper section after the wide shallow rapids and there were schools of fish in it. Water is very clear. Sight fished with a dry to a few good fish lying in some channels. By Easter the good rains around now, may have gotten to the river there. Time was just a bit limited for fishing as the low water meant slow progress and getting to camping sites later than normal.
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

I will definately report thanks for the info. Bit worried we will be rushed from one place to another but if I have 2 hours in the morning before we start paddling and a few casts during the day I will be happy. Hoping for a nice largemouth.
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12