Thread: Durban and surrounds

Default Durban and surrounds

Hi guys......any news on whats happening up North?Going to be up there next week end and im keen to wet a line.Will be based in ballito....any news and advice will be welcome...thxs in advance
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Steve,

Generally when we go up the north coast we head to Cape Vidal or Kosi, both of which are much further. Otherwise we normally head south where there is more gulley fishing.

That said, one of my favourite venues up north is Westbrooke Beach. And it comes with the benefit of having an awesome pub on the beach just down the road.

Christmas Bay also has some great fishing with nice gullies and bays.

Let us know how it goes. And enjoy!

Cheers,
    Warren
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Hi Warren...thanks for replying.I wont be heading that far north is the harbour worth a go or not?anything happening offshore that could worrent a charter?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi Warren...thanks for replying.I wont be heading that far north is the harbour worth a go or not?anything happening offshore that could worrent a charter?
    The harbour is fishing well at the moment so definitely worth a go!

As for offshore, sadly I don't get those opportunities so I can't comment there.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Hey Stephen, I wouldnt waste money on a charter this time of year. There are a few tuna and snoek (queen mackerel) around but not really worth targeting with fly you might get one or two shots at a shoal the whole day. Best bet for a charter is over summer when there are more gamefish around. Most of the charters will offer bottom fishing only now. If you are around when the Sards start coming through then that could be interesting but so far they are keeping a very low profile.

Cheers
    Julian
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau

- Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"