Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guide advice - vaal largemouth

Default Guide advice - vaal largemouth

Hi guys,

My boet turned 30 this week. He has really been bitten by smallmouth nymphing in the vaal.

I now think he is ready for a LM introduction.

I have limited budget to get someone with solid experience to take him out for a day. Can anyone recommend a knowledgeble LM guide at a reasonable rate?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    H
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

Ps - he is based in jhb.

Howzit, your best bet for this job would be Ian Couryer. yellowfish@polka.co.za, but you will need to book soon as i think he is quite busy.

Thanks Andre S - I will send an enquiry. If anyone else has any bright ideas please do not hesitate to let me know - even if it is via a PM to avoid the commercial advertising hurdle.

Not many guys advertise largemouth guiding, so there isnt really a commecial advertising hurdle. Its illegal to target and fish for largies, and the people who do it, tend to operate under the radar. There are guys that advertise largemouth guiding trips from time to time, but they are aware of the risks associated with advertising an illegal operation. I personally think that if the guy knows what hes doing, and has the conservation of the species at heart, he should be allowed to advertise, and to run guided tours, but unfortunatly the laws dont make allowances for that. Its a bit sad, but in the interests of the species, the powers that be, think that they know what they are doing.
    Your best bet, is to find someone on the forum who knows how to do it, knows the good spots, and is willing to take you out in exchange for a few beers and a tank of gas. Im not trying to cut out the guys that do guide for largies, but at the end of the day, if you pay money for a supposed largemouth guiding trip, and something happens, like an accident or something... there could be a whole lot of trouble. I really wish that the guys who know what they are doing, were able to register and operate a ligitimate service. Its sad that they have to operate under the radar when there clearly is a demand for thier services.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda2 View Post
    Thanks Andre S - I will send an enquiry. If anyone else has any bright ideas please do not hesitate to let me know - even if it is via a PM to avoid the commercial advertising hurdle.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Not many guys advertise largemouth guiding, so there isnt really a commecial advertising hurdle. Its illegal to target and fish for largies, and the people who do it, tend to operate under the radar. There are guys that advertise largemouth guiding trips from time to time, but they are aware of the risks associated with advertising an illegal operation. I personally think that if the guy knows what hes doing, and has the conservation of the species at heart, he should be allowed to advertise, and to run guided tours, but unfortunatly the laws dont make allowances for that. Its a bit sad, but in the interests of the species, the powers that be, think that they know what they are doing.
    Your best bet, is to find someone on the forum who knows how to do it, knows the good spots, and is willing to take you out in exchange for a few beers and a tank of gas. Im not trying to cut out the guys that do guide for largies, but at the end of the day, if you pay money for a supposed largemouth guiding trip, and something happens, like an accident or something... there could be a whole lot of trouble. I really wish that the guys who know what they are doing, were able to register and operate a ligitimate service. Its sad that they have to operate under the radar when there clearly is a demand for thier services.
    Andre it is not illegal to target largies in every province, there are permits available, so there is no need to be under the radar. I sent Honda a pm with details of one of our guides that will gladly help (one of the few reffis) guides available (if that still means anything). There is also no worries from our side re the commercial issues as we pay our dues.

Hi Chris, well thats great then. Good to know that there can be this service available. I thought the MEMBA regulations were national, but if permits can be obtasined, then its a good thing. I also dont know if REFFIS SA is still a valid fly fish guiding qualification, but I do know that the REFFIS unit standatrd is still listed with DEAT, so it must be valid. But having said that, I dont know if anyone actually offers it anymore. Its basically pointless having a unit standard, when there isn't a training organisation to accredit the guide.... pretty dumb, but its an indication of the lack of guiding services required by the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Andre it is not illegal to target largies in every province, there are permits available, so there is no need to be under the radar. I sent Honda a pm with details of one of our guides that will gladly help (one of the few reffis) guides available (if that still means anything). There is also no worries from our side re the commercial issues as we pay our dues.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Chris, well thats great then. Good to know that there can be this service available. I thought the MEMBA regulations were national, but if permits can be obtasined, then its a good thing. I also dont know if REFFIS SA is still a valid fly fish guiding qualification, but I do know that the REFFIS unit standatrd is still listed with DEAT, so it must be valid. But having said that, I dont know if anyone actually offers it anymore. Its basically pointless having a unit standard, when there isn't a training organisation to accredit the guide.... pretty dumb, but its an indication of the lack of guiding services required by the public.
    Seems to be the issue yes. The further problem is the unit standard expired, so it makes it even more complicated. Re the memba regulations, the ones published on 13 May is only proposed regulations at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by honda2 View Post
    Hi guys,

My boet turned 30 this week. He has really been bitten by smallmouth nymphing in the vaal.

I now think he is ready for a LM introduction.

I have limited budget to get someone with solid experience to take him out for a day. Can anyone recommend a knowledgeble LM guide at a reasonable rate?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    H
    May I suggest Mark Yelland also as a consideration , look to go in August when the water's cleared and the temps have started rising a bit, PM me if you'd like Mark's contact details.

Also Check out the largemouth clinic on the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast