Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nymphing stick - St Croix HSD

Blog Entries

Default New Nymphing stick - St Croix HSD

I recently bought a new nymphing stick for the Vaal, that I could potentially use on stillwaters too.

I settled with a St Croix High Stick Drifter in 10ft 5wt.

It was delivered today and I am pleasantly surprised with the rod!

I haven't cast it yet but its smooth, light, nicely made (some epoxy bubbles) but overall, I am really impressed by this rod! Skeleton reel seat, nice tube too!

Has anyone else on the forum fished one?

I reckon its a serious contender if someone is looking for a middle of the road rod for nymphing as opposed to the ESN?

Hopefully I will send pictures soon!

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Nice one Jade...I have had absolutely no experience with the brand, in fact, the last one I even set eyes on, was several years ago, but did not have a chance to give it a whirl. I suppose they are good rods, premium brand and all, but hope ther local representation is good (dont know who it is). Im assuming that you imported it. Anyway, let us know how it goes, and if you have anything to compare it to.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Nice one Jade...I have had absolutely no experience with the brand, in fact, the last one I even set eyes on, was several years ago, but did not have a chance to give it a whirl. I suppose they are good rods, premium brand and all, but hope ther local representation is good (dont know who it is). Im assuming that you imported it. Anyway, let us know how it goes, and if you have anything to compare it to.
    Hi Andre

I didn't have high expectations but it feels brilliant. I need to go fishing this weekend now.

I ordered it from my old man at Suburban Tackle, I think Jandi is representing St Criox. I know some guys swear by the Elite model. The finishing is not amazing, epoxy is a bit messy for my taste, but some clever little things like putting the hook keeper in the 2 agate guide to better manage long leader storage and all that.

The most surprising thing is the weight, it feels like my 4wt SP - and still has some good backbone!

I would really recommend it to anyone looking at a better nymphing rod, but doesn't want to spend the dosh on a ESN

It looks to be the business from the write up. Specially designed for high stick nymphing, is probably what the Americans do that is similar to French nymphing. Its going to be interesting to see how it operates a long leader , French style, but with the light flexible tip, that they say it has, it will probably be quite good. For yellowfish, probably going to be great. For yellows in summer, you probably going to Czech nymph qiute a bit, and here it should also be good...good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Thanks Andre will do.

It will operate on the Vaal and Orange for sure.

Will give you guys a report back soon hopefully!

I am surprised that the finish is not all that good as the Elite models are very well made.
    I love the Elite was contemplating the HSD.Hope you give us some feedback soon.Enjoy a very underated brand ,locally that is.

Blog Entries

Thanks John, organised to head to Dullies this weekend - So it might not be a true nymphing review but it will give me some indication of how it performs.

Yeah there is the odd bubble in the finish, and not very even. Besides that it feels like such a sweet rod screwing around with it in the office. Will put a reel on it this evening and do some test casting.

I am really impressed with the tube and the presentation of the rod. Even comes with ferrule wax!

J

Blog Entries

Just a quick update on how the rod performed on a trout stillwater this weekend:

Like sh1t frankly.

I know its not meant to be a stillwater rod, but I couldn't get 10ms of line out. I dont really know what I expected though.

It cant cast medium to long distances at all, but short range, pretending I was nymphing the Vaal, it was awesome. Light in the hand, very sensitive tip, and roll casts really well. The extra foot makes a huge difference, and really enjoy the line management it offers.

Either way, pretty happy with it as a Vaal Orange nymph rod, but as a stillwater, nope, its terrible.

But in the words of Einstein:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Same applies here for the HSD.

― Albert Einstein

J
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 15-07-13 at 11:26 AM.

Interesting.I built a `10ft 6wt rod that also does not cast very well,but nymphs very well.
    I did however find with a lot of line out it was better but it struggles to get the first few metres out

i find i have to slow down my casting stroke with a longer rod, once you get used to it they can put out a long line.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast