Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orvis Helios 2

Barrio lines look very well priced, where can I get these fly lines here in SA?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Barrio lines look very well priced, where can I get these fly lines here in SA?
    You can't you have to order from Mike himself. That said, if you can make an order with a few folk it becomes VERY cheap. Great lines!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Last edited by Helios; 05-09-13 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Adding Photos

There have been a move towards Weight Forward lines, but do have a look at Double Taper.
    Much better for Roll Casting etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I understand the benefits of a double taper line for small stream and river fishing when you sometimes don't have space to do a back cast and of course it is essentially two new fly lines for the purchase of one.

But the Helios 2 will mainly be used for stillwater with ample space to back cast and cast quite a distance so I have eventually settled on a WF fly line after many hours doing research on the internet for a line that matches the rod well - SA Mastery GPX (Not Textured).

I have finally got my kit sorted out and I tested it last week on a 3.3 lbs Rainbow, it handled the fish gracefully, to put it into words.

The Kit: Helios 2 5-Weight Tip Flex, Hatch 4-Plus Reel, SA Textured GPX

Sorry if it seems as if I am showing off, it is not my intention. I am merely displaying what I have purchased.
    20130829_141209 (1032 x 580).jpg20130829_141354 (1032 x 580).jpg20130829_141438 (766 x 1362).jpg

Does it matter if you're showing off? Nice kit, I like it.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

8. Default

I agree with Bertu, so what if you show off. That's great looking kit, and I'd be happy to own it too man!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I agree...showing off is good, but be carefull.... you only allowed to show off with a rod that isn't a Sage. The moment you show off with a Sage, you going to get into trouble.....
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I agree with Bertu, so what if you show off. That's great looking kit, and I'd be happy to own it too man!!!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12