Thread: Sage method

Default Sage method

Right,

So who has one of these and can compare it realistically from in hand experience (not what the stats and technical jargon says) about how these compare to their predecessors the TCR and TCX ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blo...fly-rod-review
    Conclusion
    I was never a fan of the TCX. Here on the east coast we fish a lot of small water, and we’re often making casts less than 40’. The TCX was not a rod for in-close action. The Sage Method fly rod is a massive improvement in this department.

http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=182271
    In all likelihood, when the TCX comes home from Sage, it will be unceremoniously consigned to ebay to find a new owner, in part to defray the cost of a new Method.

Seems like a better rod than the TCX.
    Last edited by GGY; 28-08-13 at 11:59 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Sage has another model,again.Always saying its better and and and...
    Much like toyota that has redone the same hilux now for for nealy 10 years and each facelift sees huge quantities sold because people believe its better.Its the same thing with a few tweeks.
    I cant see the major difference nowadays with the upgraded rods.Its so marginal the cost could never be justified in that it will produce you any better results.
    That said,if you got the money to upgrade to the new rods everytime by all means,its just never gonna make you cast 10m further,10cm closer or bring you a bigger fish.
    I guess the technology needs to grow and so create a market for retail etc.
    My2cworth
    Would like to cast it though to feel:smile:

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Seems like a better rod than the TCX.
    Interresting reviews, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    That said,if you got the money to upgrade to the new rods everytime by all means,its just never gonna make you cast 10m further,10cm closer or bring you a bigger fish.
    I agree ... same thing with why rods are sold for (read : not "costs as much as") what they are, in that regards SAGE does well ito hype and marketing, props to them ... if you didn't create a market and demand for your product ... nobody would buy it. Same thing with GLoomis and the NRX over the GLX ... the newer technology in the graphite does make a difference ... for the rest it is the same rod.

The only thing I can see that is different (really) is the Konnetic technology in the graphite ... I loved the TCR and TCX but they were a bit fragile, especially the way we fish for Largies and Tigers. You would often get cracks especially near the ferrules. If they kept the same style and action of rod, same light feel in hand and castability but improved it's durability ... I think it would be a great rod ... maybe not R8K worth of great rod ... but still.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

http://www.deneki.com/2013/08/sage-7...he-lightsaber/

Spey rod, but the idea remains the same I would guess, right?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Fair enough, although the Tcx is about 5 years old already, so perhaps a new model is about timely. Apparently it is faster than the TCX, and more technical to cast, but once you get it going, its a dream. I have heard that Dean from Frontiers has cast it, and says its the best ever, especially with a shooting head, or a heavy grained line, but then this is what they designed for, shooting line with as few false casts as possible. The problem with these ultra fast rods, is that they are quite unforgiving in the cast, and not for the novice caster, so a combination of a tricky casting rod, and a "difficult" line, in the hands of an experienced caster, might be good. . Re your comments on durability.....never heard of cracking around ferrules of any of these, but might be interesting to find out from the agents as to how many rods with these issues were returned under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Interresting reviews, thanks for the info.

I agree ... same thing with why rods are sold for (read : not "costs as much as") what they are, in that regards SAGE does well ito hype and marketing, props to them ... if you didn't create a market and demand for your product ... nobody would buy it. Same thing with GLoomis and the NRX over the GLX ... the newer technology in the graphite does make a difference ... for the rest it is the same rod.

The only thing I can see that is different (really) is the Konnetic technology in the graphite ... I loved the TCR and TCX but they were a bit fragile, especially the way we fish for Largies and Tigers. You would often get cracks especially near the ferrules. If they kept the same style and action of rod, same light feel in hand and castability but improved it's durability ... I think it would be a great rod ... maybe not R8K worth of great rod ... but still.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.