Thread: Norway assistance

Default Norway assistance

hi Guys

i was hoping someone could give me some ideas here via pm or on this thread.

my father is hosting an Absa trip to Norway next month - i know it co-incides with the World's, but im sure the areas are different.

they are travelling to Alesund, Skjolden, Flam and Stavanger. i have looked online and many of these places boast saltwater and fresh water fishing, but my dad is keen on a salmon - on fly or spinner he's not fussy. i'd prefer fly though for him.

i was hoping someone could assist in a few decent salmon patterns i could tie up for him for this trip?

thanks for any help offered
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Do Absa clients have a say in this matter??

Will ask a mate from the area and report back if I have anything useful.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I have fished the areas, will reply properly, later
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I sent you a pm with solid info.

direct from norway

Ålesund have nive sea fishing, and some decent trout/seatrout places. Stavanger is a deadend. just small fish in acidic water. Could be some places that is decent, but generaly a bad fishing area. Flåm I´m sure has good fishing, but have never been. Ålesund has salmon in the vicinity yes. between 1. june ang 1. August is season

My experience:
    Most of the rivers have trout in. you can fish grayling in most rivers as well. If there is a beach, it is worth wading in and casting. We caught decent Cod, Lunk, coalfish, sea run browns, etc from the beach. Sometimes you can see the boils and rises behind the very little wave action.
    That area is spectacular from a sight seeing point of view. In some of the areas, there are lovely mountain lakes with a good head of fish. LOTS AND LOTS TO SEE. AMAZING SIGHT SEEING. Fjords, lovely towns etc. If they do get a chance take the train from Bergen to Oslo
    http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Gettin...st-train-ride/
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

as for salmon in the area, direct from my friend in Norway.

Haven´t fished there, bud Surna, Driva, Rauma, Søya are all within driving distance, but you need to spend a night away as I think you need ferry crossings. Ålesund is out on a knob in the sea. Surna is by far the best salmon river. Søya is a small river with lots of fish between 2-5 kg. But he will need to do some driving.
    Korrie Broos

I have fished the Driva in Sundal, this was about 6 years ago. I remember it was very cheap to get a permit/license and there are lots of camping spots along the river. Not a heavily fished river. Didn't catch any salmon but lots of sea trout. The scenery in this valley is AMAZING
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

wow guys thanks a mil for all the responses...

i wish absa clients had a say in this, but alas not even absa spawn have a say haha.

i'm looking into all of this and will keep you posted on any fishing he manages to do over there.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears