Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Earbuds as Tube Flies

Wiets Banned User

Default Cheap Earbuds as Tube Flies

For anywhere between R10 and R15, you can have 100 tubes for your tube flies. Your common earbud, normally sold in packages of 100 can be used as tubes for your tube flies. Just make sure that the stem is made from hollow plastic and not cardboard or paper. Use a sharp razor to cut the cotton bud away. Cut the tube to the size required and tie your creation.

Maybe you want to try used ones for extra flavour!

Ja, the earbud sticks work well for unweighted tube flies, not that I use them much these days. I used to be able to buy thin brass curtain/mural railing from ironmongers in the old days which when cut and honed to take off the sharp edges would be magic and ultra-cheap to tie Waddingtons (salmon tube flies) - dunno if the same stuff is still around at hardware stores, or if it's only the too-thick stuff.

Wiets Banned User

For weight, you can always use a lighter to melt one end of the Tube and when quite soft - press the melted end onto to a cold surface. This will create a small flange which is great for keeping metal cones in place. Alternatively, you can add weight by winding lead wire or similar onto the tube.

Last edited by Wiets; 26-05-07 at 10:53 AM.

Good idea. I also like the idea about small flanges

forgive my ignorance and having not ever tied tube flies before, but how do you get the hook to stak in place?
    the patient mental...

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    forgive my ignorance and having not ever tied tube flies before, but how do you get the hook to stak in place?
    Devlin

Your line runs through the tube fly and a small piece of silicone tube. The line is then tied to your hook like normal. You then slide the silicone tube so that it is just covers the eye of the hook. Then slide the tube fly towards the hook and force the silicone tube over the fly tube. Therefore the small silicone tube connects and hold the tube fly and hook together.

Tube flies are great in that the fly and hook becomes detached when fighting your fish. The tube fly then slides up the line and out of the way - the end result is that there is less damage caused to your fly during the fight.

In addition to this, since the fly is tied to the tube and not the hook, you can save on the number of hooks you have to keep or purchase.
    Last edited by Wiets; 26-05-07 at 02:28 PM.

cool stuff. thanks Wiets!
    the patient mental...

Gogga Banned User

Hey Wiets,

Those ear buds look good mate. I see you are persevering with the tubes - good on you.

Here are a couple of new ones I have been messing around with

All the best
    Mike

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gogga View Post
    Hey Wiets,

Those ear buds look good mate. I see you are persevering with the tubes - good on you.

Here are a couple of new ones I have been messing around with

All the best
    Mike

Nice looking flies!!
    ... and no, I am not persevering with tubes.
    In fact, I have only tied 14 flies in my entire life.
    13 for the fly swap and the "Scoobedoo" posted on this forum.
    Neither have I ever gone fly fishing - at least, not as yet!
    Last edited by Wiets; 28-05-07 at 08:18 PM.

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Nice looking flies!!
    ... and no, I am not persevering with tubes.
    In fact, I have only tied 14 flies in my entire life.
    13 for the fly swap and the "Scoobedoo" posted on this forum.
    Neither have I ever gone fly fishing - at least, not as yet!

Crikey Mate,

I got you figured out all wrong, Get on a plane and come to Vancouver, Ill sort out your lack of fly fishing - bloody interesting your posts - Heaven help us when you really get going (he he)

All the best
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.