Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stiffest flyrods

Default Stiffest flyrods

Anyone maybe have a graph or know a website that has tested the stiffness of various rods.I am in for a new 9wt and the list i have so far is tcx,xi3,gloomis nrx,stcroix legend.Any thoughts

Few things beat the NRX or even GLX but their pricing and replacement costs make the Sages very attractive.

To me the 9WT TiCr-X/Axiom and TCX are similar, can't say I've ever cast the Xi3 or Xi2, but I know the Xi2's were not as stiff at the TCX/TFO in a similar weight class. The 9WT TCR/TCX is a lovely rod, but the GLX/NRX always has an edge ito pure stiffness. Suitability for purpose is another matter alltogether.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

John send me your e-mail address via PM please?
    Your PM Box is full.

The big reason i want very stiff is more so to pick up a load of line off the water to recast.My current T50 although darn good still lacks a bit of backbone when doing this.I also like casting in one or two false casts and i find slower rods cant do this at distance

try a broomstick from your local hardware store. ;-)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

i would if they did not look so crappy

Echo, or ADG Titanium. ADG does blanks too, will mail you, just in EL today. You can build the ADG yourself. The Forecast RX8 is also pretty snappy. Blank available too.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks Mario,appreciated

TFO Axiom is way up there
    Regards
    Craig

How much line are wanting to pick up? You talking 9wt, so I assume its for salt water. Are you not retrieving the fly to a closer and more manageable distance. Im not sure that any rod is going to comfortable lift a full flyline off the water, and allow for two false casts. In this situation, a stiff rod might compound the problem.........dunno. My TCR (before I sold it) is a very fast rod, and quite stiff also, and even that had difficulty drawing a lot of line off the surface, certainly wasnt able to lift and shoot a full line.
    Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    The big reason i want very stiff is more so to pick up a load of line off the water to recast.My current T50 although darn good still lacks a bit of backbone when doing this.I also like casting in one or two false casts and i find slower rods cant do this at distance
    Last edited by Andre; 02-08-13 at 01:18 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast