#0-#3
    #4-#6

Stillwaters:
    #4-#7

Saltwater:
    #6-#8
    #8-#10
    #10 and up

No reason for arguments, just plain the rod you prefer (and perhaps why you do).
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Nymphing:
    #4 10ft Stealth Infinity (awesome nymphing rod, extra foot revolutionized nymphing for me)

Dry Fly
    #3 8.6 Greys Streamflex (had this rod for years, got a couple of other stream rods, but always come back to the streamflex)

Stillwaters:
    #5 9.0 Greys Streamflex (still the sweetest casting rod i own, yes I also have some sages )

Saltwater:
    #9 (surf) #7 (estuary) don't fish salt much, but these are stiff rods that punch a line out into the wind quite nicely. #7 doubles up as a bass rod.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Nymphing:
    #2-#3- Greys Streamflex
    #4-#6- #4/5 Greys Streamflex; #5/6 Vision GT4

Dry Fly:
    #0-#3- Sage TXL
    #4-#6- Dont really do any of this so experience is limited. I generally keep it simple and switch between dry and nymph on the same rod anyway so Greys Streamflex

Stillwaters:
    #4-#7- Pulling lures: #6/7 Vision GT4 (the Stealth Bomber is another really good choice here or a Sage One if you want to spend some money)
    Nymphing and dry: #5/6 Vision 3zone
    Stockie ponds: #4 Streamflex

Saltwater:
    #6-#8 TFO TiCR or TiCRx
    #8-#10 Crosscurrent GLX
    #10 and up Crosscurrent GLX
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Nymphing:
    Small streams: #2 Sage TXL 7'10" Beautifully slow and smooth with wonderfully delicate presentation. Super light, so it makes small fish feel bigger. I do hope to get a #3 11' Sage ESN soon though as the lack of length on the TXL can get frustrating.
    Larger rivers: #5 Sage Z-axis 9'. Magic all-round rod with a gentle tip for better feel while nymphing. Also, I use a #9 Stealth 9' when targeting barbell in the Vaal.

Dry fly: As above.

Still waters: Sage FLi #5 9'. Serious backbone means I can cast a full sinking line. Much more of a broomstick than the Z-axis.

Salt water: 12' Penn with a coffee grinder and 30lb braid - outcasts my Stealth 9' by about 90m.

5. Default

Nymphing:
    #0-#3 - (ESN 2100)
    #4-#6 - (TXL-F 4710 for smaller streams)

Dry Fly:
    #0-#3 - (Winston BIIt 802)
    #4-#6 - (ZXL 486)

Stillwaters:
    #4-#7 (VXP 590)

Saltwater:
    #6-#8 (not in Rhodes )
    #8-#10(not in Rhodes )
    #10 and up(not in Rhodes )
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Depends what kind of nymphing:-
    Czech and short line, heavy nymphing, Sage 99 4wt (Vaal and Orange for yellows etc)
    trout rivers and "leader to hand nymphing" 2wt 10 foot ESN (such as in Rhodes and some Cape rivers)

Dry fly, again depending on varions factors:-
    Stealth SXR 2wt 7'6
    Sage Z-Axis 3wt

Still water TFO TICRX 5wt
    Sage 99

Salt water...... dont have salt water gear.... dont really do it. I have tried, but I really suck at salt water flyfishing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Nymphing:
    #0-#3 = 10ft 3wt Hardy Zenith (Trout) or 10ft 3wt Stealth Infinity (Smallmouth Yellows)
    #4-#6 = 10ft 6wt Sage ONE.

Dry Fly:
    #0-#3 = 10ft 3wt Hardy Zenith (Trout) or 10ft 3wt Stealth Infinity (Smallmouth Yellows)

Stillwaters:
    #4-#7 = 10ft 6wt Sage ONE.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Nymphing:

Dry Fly:

Stillwaters:
    #4-#7 = 10ft 6wt Sage ONE.
    The 6 and 7-weight ONEs seem to be cleaning up all over ito performance all round. You were a mighty lucky chap when you found that blank
    Mario Geldenhuys

9. Default

PS, you don't have to OWN these rods, this is not a show of what you own. If you have fished a rod and really found it to be the perfect rod for the application as above, please jot it down. Thanks.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Very interesting what you say about the Sage TXL. I tried to nymph with it, and found it too stiff and too short. Its a fast rod, and for the delicate sensitivity needed to detect some very soft bites, I found it lacking. As a dry fly rod, very nice. Perfect action for a breezy day, but not great on a very short cast with a long leader...tip too stiff. Thats my observation, but everyone fishers differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Nymphing:
    Small streams: #2 Sage TXL 7'10" Beautifully slow and smooth with wonderfully delicate presentation. Super light, so it makes small fish feel bigger. I do hope to get a #3 11' Sage ESN soon though as the lack of length on the TXL can get frustrating.
    Larger rivers: #5 Sage Z-axis 9'. Magic all-round rod with a gentle tip for better feel while nymphing. Also, I use a #9 Stealth 9' when targeting barbell in the Vaal.

Dry fly: As above.

Still waters: Sage FLi #5 9'. Serious backbone means I can cast a full sinking line. Much more of a broomstick than the Z-axis.

Salt water: 12' Penn with a coffee grinder and 30lb braid - outcasts my Stealth 9' by about 90m.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast