• Temple Fork Outfitters

21 18.26%
  • Hardy

12 10.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Preferred Fly Rod Brand

Neil & Andre
    Do yourself a favour and try something like a 3wt Scott fibreglass rod.
    They are absolutely ideal for small cape streams, cast med to long distance effortlessly and you will absolutely not get the same presentation on any graphite rod.
    Yes it is slow, with an action like bamboo rod, but oh so much lighter.
    Would fish a scott f2 over any graphite rod.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Hey Mario, I agree with you 100% regarding Swift blank price , looks like a little bit overkill .
    From other side, Carl is giving nice discount , he charge just a little bit for shipping , and believe or not I receive my blanks from NZ to SA in a less than 72 hours !!!???

Anyway , it seems that my 476 will be done at next Wednesday , so only then I will know is this worth a price...

I've done blind buying, since I know Carl McNeil more than 10 years ...he gave me guaranty I will be stunned ...

Also, I can send them back if I do not like them ...
    Ja look, if anyone is prepared to pay the price that tackle manufacturers charge then it's all good. I have been tempted SO many times to get a Swift, so don't temp me any further :-D 3K for a glass blank is a lot (base price with zero shipping), but if I had that, I'd pay it for a Swift. They are simply incredibly pretty, and not bad as fishing tools too :-D I doubt you'll be sending anything back Zoran!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Neil & Andre
    Do yourself a favour and try something like a 3wt Scott fibreglass rod.
    They are absolutely ideal for small cape streams, cast med to long distance effortlessly and you will absolutely not get the same presentation on any graphite rod.
    Yes it is slow, with an action like bamboo rod, but oh so much lighter.
    Would fish a scott f2 over any graphite rod.
    Lighter than bamboo for sure. Lighter than graphite? Hmmm,.

If grp was marketed and sold as entry level, fine. But carbon was such a major improvement over grp that I find it strange that grp is suddenly being touted as a major "find". Sure there were (try the Fenwicks from the 70's) and are bound to be sweet grp rods but carbon holds all of the engineering ace cards over grp.

Would be interesting to compare the Scott to the Sage Circa though. Or even my modest ZXL,s.

Hi Mario,
    It has been just a few weeks with my first Epic 476 .
    I cannot tell you how that small snake of rod is good .
    It worth every cent ,and even more .
    In my age and after so many rods it is not easy for any new rod to get me excited as I am youngster, but that's what happen with this rod.
    Every cast- make me smile :smile:

It felts very feather-light in the hand. Closed eyes, I doubt anyone will guess it is glass -judging by weight and balance in the hand.
    It is fibreglass and it is smooth, BUT - crisp, snappy and responsive ,like no any glass up to date (at least this is what reviews from fiberglass forum claims..)
    That specific smooth , deep fibreglass action is there , it cannot be misunderstand for plastic rod -judging by smooth , graceful action.
    Epic and Carl even went further- recovery speed of Epic 476 is amazing for glass rod, its faster than few slow/medium graphite rods I own .
    It creates a nice tight or round loops, just by command.
    I am using extremely long leaders on Sterkies (Rio tapered 12 foot 3 x and than tippets -4, 5 and 6 X ) which comes to almost 4-5 metres in length.
    Turnovers is just a breeze , with delicate fly landing , imitating Caddies or Mayflies by command as well.
    It loads deeply with just a meter or two of line outside rod tip, but can cast fairly long if you want as well.

I think this rod is born for small (Cape ) streams !

After few first casts, I get enough lucky to have 2,95 kg Yellowfish .
    Epic 476 just landed that fish , this rod takes no prisoners when it comes to fighting with fish , amazing thing !

Cheers,
    Zoran

I will maybe put a full review on this forum, since we from South Africa will probably get our local certified Epic rod builder very soon .

In a week or so time, another two Epic will be build - 480 and 580 , both in stunning Salsa colour !

Give me a PM if you want to try this new miracle of fast glass rods !

Last edited by Zoran; 25-11-13 at 04:15 PM.

Zoran, that is simply STUNNING!!!! Congrats on a superb fishing tool!!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hahahahahhaaa.......good one, lets bunch the Horizon guys with Sage then. The T&T guys will have to go together with Greys....oh wait...Greys not there either, lets put them with hardy.........
    I did not see a "green" rod listed on the polls, pity!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

this thread is looping
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi Zoran Agreed I have a Epic Fiberglass 6# 8 1/2 4 piece, also nude wrapping similar to yours in fact Beautiful to fish with and good looking as well I use mine mainly on the Vaal It has over the last year become my fav rod

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6