Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes update

fishing the ultra clear, ultra low waters, French style, (8x 2meters long) with micro nymphs, can be very productive.
    with the correct casting and drifts, the only way of spotting a take, is to watch the gills.
    If the gills moves, set the hook.
    That will be the ONLY sign of a take.
    I have seen the MASTER (Pascal Cognard) in action. Trust me on that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    I have never managed to fish the Kraai, seems like i need to make a plan.
    Make a plan. Note that the river is like chocolate during the height of the rainy season, and it can be iffy as late as April. I've heard that it remains clear until the rains set in properly in Nov/Dec.
    Also, it can be a long journey from Rhodes if you're staying in town - 30km on dirt to the upper beats, but 60km plus to fish Wildside and other lower beats.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Do you know how they fared?
    They seemed to be doing well and were happy with their catch rates. They were fishing teams of two small nymphs fairly slowly, and the smaller flies seemed to be delivering smaller fish for them.

I hear that there still has been no rain in the area, and rivers are very thin...... anyone got any info? I know that Fred Steynberg is recommending that fly fishermen stay away at the moment. Even the Kraai is too low. Fred recons the only sub decent fishing is below Barkley.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I hear that there still has been no rain in the area, and rivers are very thin...... anyone got any info? I know that Fred Steynberg is recommending that fly fishermen stay away at the moment. Even the Kraai is too low. Fred recons the only sub decent fishing is below Barkley.
    Argh thats really bad news. I tried to get hold of Theuns Botha about an update on Maclear side, but all is looking very dry.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

When are you planning to go Jade?
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Argh thats really bad news. I tried to get hold of Theuns Botha about an update on Maclear side, but all is looking very dry.

J
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Jip, VERY dry. I'm actually fishing the Orange this afternoon about 36km from my house. Water is clear enough to sightfish, but for the Orange it is LOW and very very slow.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

When are you planning to go Jade?
    I am off to Douglas and Kimberley from the 6th - 13th, then I should be in the NEC around December.

I am moving to the Eastern Cape next month, so will be about 3 hours away from the NEC. Will play it by ear, otherwise I will go hunt some estuary fish in the EC coast. Really hope the rains arrive soon. Jozi is also looking very bleak.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Anyone know if any rain has fallen in the Rhodes area yet?

Anyone know if any rain has fallen in the Rhodes area yet?
    Some, and snow - but not much change to the rivers at this stage. Water just sucked into the ground. Some more today and over the weekend though.
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 25-10-13 at 10:36 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast