Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes update

No I don't think so. You will be surprised how quickly the trout come back. while the river isn't good, the bulk of them would have just moved away, perhaps a few hundred meter, a few kilometres, or several kilometres. As soon as the river gets to a decent condition. Sometimes the PH of the river changes slightly depending on conditions, and if there is a lot of vegetation that is decaying in a low and slow flowing river. There are many factors that could cause the trout to move away, but trout are sensitive to water conditions, and will always follow water that is better suited to their ideal conditions. Trout will spread out very quickly in their natural search for a less populated and more ideally suited river conditions.
    Take the Klein Caledon in Clarens for example. The river all but dried out into a few puddles, and people thought that all the trout had died. The rain came a couple of years later, and within weeks, people were catching 18 inch trout...where did they go, and how did they get back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Agreed, but the point is it will take two years. So I (and presumably many others) will have to find alternative waters to chase river trout for a while.

Does anyone know whether the rivers in Lesotho/Natal/Maclear have survived better than those in the Rhodes area?
    Last edited by Andre; 03-05-16 at 12:49 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Agreed, but the point is it will take two years. So I (and presumably many others) will have to find alternative waters to chase river trout for a while.

Does anyone know whether the rivers in Lesotho/Natal/Maclear have survived better than those in the Rhodes area?
    Depends on the river i guess, but i had some very enjoyable fishing on some KZN rivers over the long weekend. Some friends were up on the lesotho escarpment and reported the senqu is flowing nicely (not sure about the fishing however).
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

While the fishing may be absolutely crap at the moment (keep in mind, it is getting colder and fish are becoming more lethargic and hide under rocks and undercuts) it is also an absolute blessing. For years we have been moaning about too many small fish (see attached statistic), and for some sort of management programme to get rid of the smaller fish! The WTA even went as far as to obtain 2 electro-shockers to do that, and stock stillwaters with the fish caught. Well, now nature has sorted that for us. With some patience and some rain/snow to keep the streams flowing, we are sure to have some amazing fishing in the near future. Keep in mind, we saw 3 fish of 18" on one beat, and another even larger on the beat below, so they are still there!!

1.JPG 2.JPG
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

So Mario, assuming there are sufficient adult fish to have a decent spawn this winter/spring, and assuming decent rainfall, this time next year there should be many babies, but just as few adult fish as now. My thought is simply that the fishing will not be hot until autumn 2018. By that point, there should be a healthy range of sizes available.
    Do you reckon the fishing will already have sorted itself out by this time next year?

Also, when do the yellowfish start to move into the Sterkspruit/Bokspruit and Bell river?

So Mario, assuming there are sufficient adult fish to have a decent spawn this winter/spring, and assuming decent rainfall, this time next year there should be many babies, but just as few adult fish as now.
    There has already been a spawn in January, and given that conditions are right there should be 1 or 2 more this year. So yes, there should be some babies in the streams. We have to keep in mind where those babies come from though. Healthy, mature (and usually not <250mm) fish.

My thought is simply that the fishing will not be hot until autumn 2018. By that point, there should be a healthy range of sizes available.
    Do you reckon the fishing will already have sorted itself out by this time next year?
    I do think next year should already be good (given that we have good flows during winter and the rest of the year). As mentioned there are some good fish around, and come Sept they should be moving up from the only holding water they had lower down during the drought.

Also, when do the yellowfish start to move into the Sterkspruit/Bokspruit and Bell river?
    Usually around Oct/Nov, but that depends on rain and temps as well. We have seen yellows move up to the upper Kraai as early as Sept in warmer times and low flows (last year).
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Don't be surprised at the growth rate of fish. I have seen some fish shoot out over a season or 2 by many inches!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Shot for the info. Surprising, but I guess the proof will be next autumn! Here's hoping.

Shot for the info. Surprising, but I guess the proof will be next autumn! Here's hoping.

It's a best guess scenario :tongue:

3.jpg

Look at how fish numbers have increased after "bad" periods. Given those stats we should be really good in 2 years, and good in a year's time.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Sweet. The base is pretty low though, with only 92 fish caught in this year's event...

Sweet. The base is pretty low though, with only 92 fish caught in this year's event...
    Just means less but better fish in a year or two. For a very long time people have been moaning that we have too many small fish. Now (we hope) the balance will be restored for a few years. But it's all best-guess. Nature has a funny way of proving us wrong all the time.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast