Thread: Where to fish

Default Where to fish

Good afternoon fellow FF. A question I have and it seems no amount of reading and scouring the internet helps, besides to create more confusion. I am new to FF and loving it, the question I have is: with the fresh water permit I have am I allowed to fish all fresh water river systems in the western cape? understandably rivers flow through farms and private land and permission would be needed. CPS streams also offer some great fishing but are there other areas to be fished? I can understand the secret spots and guys wanting to keep it so for fear of weekend stomp patrols destroying a spot. do not disclose those spots please? I just need some clarity on the do's and dont's of where you can fish.

Cheers for now

Jason
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Yes, you can fish all the public waters.
    Private waters you might have to take out a day permit or an annual membership from a club. i.e. CPS streams and Lakenvlei. Or some areas on Theewaterskloof are private club waters for entry.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thank you Korrie for the response...I have noticed that often there isnt any clear marking or indication as to what is private or public.. I suppose I have to wait for a farmer to start shooting at me?
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I have made very good friends and contacts over the years with very good access over the years with many land owners.
    WHEN IN ANY DOUBT, go up to the house, knock, introduce yourself and explain the situation
    "Hi, my name is Jason. I wanted to fish the dam/river etc but was not sure if it is a. on your land b. if it is open to the public c. if not is there any chance that I can fish it, etc"
    Farmers have so many problems with unuathorised people on their farms, you do not want to contribute.
    You explain you do only catch and release etc.
    He will either tell you straight out "NO FISHING ON MY LAND due to problems in the past" or you might get a friendly YES, or the fishing on the dam belongs to a club. Ask for club details and join the club.
    If I want to go and fish on the same stretch in future, I phone before hand, ask for permission, telling him exactly when I will arrive, where I will park my care etc and drop off a box of good chocolates with him for him and his wife. You are gauranteed fishing access for ever.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

That would be the exact approach I would use. usually a friendly approach gets a good response.

Thanks Korrie for the contribution. The last thing I would want to do is create negativity.