Thread: Start of the season- Tackle inspection

Default Start of the season- Tackle inspection

With the Yellowfish and trout river season almost "open" it is time to check the tackle.
    How many of you check your tackle before the season opens?
    I never did, until last year, I broke off on a big fish and very thin tippet.
    Then I realised, I have not oiled my reel for probably 10 years.

It was amazing what a bit of oil did for my reel, then I ended up, doing all my reels.
    I washed the male and female sections of the rod with a bit of spirits, and applied a bit of candle wax. ( VERY LITTLE).

It is amazing what 10 minutes of maintenance can do to your rods and reels. The rod sections comes apart, much easier. The reels runs much smoother and quieter. The drag is more subtle for the fine tippets etc.

Take 10 minutes to do above, and you will enjoy your fishing much more. If you are doing one rod and reel, it is probably only 3 or 4 minutes
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Nice one Korrie..

I am currently reviewing all tackel needed for the yellow/carp/cat season.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

I service my reels all the time and as an after thought I decided to clean my rods as well and managed to break one of them

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    I service my reels all the time and as an after thought I decided to clean my rods as well and managed to break one of them
    do tell please. how??

A comedy of errors, which included a door a chair that collapsed and a 4 year old. Little boy moved chair, I sat down and fell and crushed the tip section in a door.

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    A comedy of errors, which included a door a chair that collapsed and a 4 year old. Little boy moved chair, I sat down and fell and crushed the tip section in a door.
    hahahaha! Shame man, I'm guessing it wasn't your latest Winston BoronIII or you would be less relaxed about it.

It was a R200 fiberglass rod I used for nymphing, my wife said I did it to buy a new rod.
    But the lesson here is make sure you know what you are doing before "maintaining" your equipment