Thread: Kosi Bay

Default Kosi Bay

Hi guys, going in November. Advise? Anybody else going?

where are you staying. are you taking a boat? do you have access to a boat while there? will you be fishing from the surf?
    a bit more info and we can help
    catch and release

Hi, sorry. No boat, will be fishing from the shore.Will be looking for some GT's in particular but anything will do I guess.
    Just gonna be a couple days away with wife and dog's.

Quote Originally Posted by 4kolfish View Post
    Hi, sorry. No boat, will be fishing from the shore.Will be looking for some GT's in particular but anything will do I guess.
    Just gonna be a couple days away with wife and dog's.
    Hi,

You don't just pitch up at Kosi and get GT's, that's like expecting to win the lotto on you first ticket purchase. I am not trying to be negative, just helping you out as its not a easy task even for a very experienced angler. There are lots of other fish to bash though to keep you busy like the other kingfish species and numerous reef fish. If you want fish guaranteed, walk south from the car park at the mouth to the first fish kraals. There are lots of fish that to be added to the species list on light tackle(6wt is ideal) in those channels on a low tide, best is just as it starts pushing. Here you can fish any time of day, tides will be your only restriction.

If you are looking for bigger fish then you need to spend your time in the surf near the mouth. But timing the tides plus sun rise and set is key for the best results, not easy if you stay outside of the park. Remember the water at Kosi is super clear and big predatory fish don't cruise about in shallow water with the sun high up. A night permit can be obtained if you want to fish into the night but it is not for the faint hearted, the Moz border is only a few kilos up the beach and the is a lot of foot traffic up and down bypassing the border post.

Enjoy it!
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    Hi,

You don't just pitch up at Kosi and get GT's, that's like expecting to win the lotto on you first ticket purchase. I am not trying to be negative, just helping you out as its not a easy task even for a very experienced angler. There are lots of other fish to bash though to keep you busy like the other kingfish species and numerous reef fish. If you want fish guaranteed, walk south from the car park at the mouth to the first fish kraals. There are lots of fish that to be added to the species list on light tackle(6wt is ideal) in those channels on a low tide, best is just as it starts pushing. Here you can fish any time of day, tides will be your only restriction.

If you are looking for bigger fish then you need to spend your time in the surf near the mouth. But timing the tides plus sun rise and set is key for the best results, not easy if you stay outside of the park. Remember the water at Kosi is super clear and big predatory fish don't cruise about in shallow water with the sun high up. A night permit can be obtained if you want to fish into the night but it is not for the faint hearted, the Moz border is only a few kilos up the beach and the is a lot of foot traffic up and down bypassing the border post.

Enjoy it!
    Thanks KO. i've fished there before and know the Geets don't come easy. always looking for new advice, thanks dude.

Hello

At kosi mouth the best fishing is at night 2hours either side of high tide. You should fish rocktail bay and banga nek if you get a chance. Theres generally stuff there when kosi mouth is dead.

Hi Guys

Im heading to Kosi this June, hope to do some fly fishing too. Anyone been there lately, what is the situation wrt safety, I am aware that there has been quite a few incidents like hijackings the last few years, and ambushes in the roads down to Sodwana
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Sybie please give a report when you are back from your trip. I am going in July...