Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filling the fly box in a day- social tying event

Default Filling the fly box in a day- social tying event

Guys, I've recently started filling up my flyboxes again, its proving to be a very time consuming pastime, especially considering that fishing flies are not what I enjoy tying nowadays. I'm quiet a fan of tying dries but like we all know you need the nymphs and nastys too.I also find that if I tie one particular pattern for a few hours I get in a groove. So, I have an idea, imagine this, ten guys, each sit down and tie 50 flies of the same pattern in a day, talking rubbish and tying, just nice social tying. At the end of the day each guy get 5 flies of 10 different patterns. The idea is that each tyer ties what he or she is best at, and everyone present shares in this . Anyone up for this?

I was tying with my pal Gysie the other day and it was so great just tying without having to teach for a change, just tying and talking crap like I used to do when I was in High school.
    If we could get guys like Herman Botes to tie Roaches, Gary glen young to tie little nymphs, gysie to tie jigs, etc etc etc, that would be great.Any takers?

i'll be in the Cape from November through to March next year so i'll like to join a social , taliking crap, flytying outfit there too. My para RABs are not too bad.

Kind regards

Gordon

hi, will be nice to meet up with you, when you are in the Cape.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Guys, I've recently started filling up my flyboxes again, its proving to be a very time consuming pastime, especially considering that fishing flies are not what I enjoy tying nowadays. I'm quiet a fan of tying dries but like we all know you need the nymphs and nastys too.I also find that if I tie one particular pattern for a few hours I get in a groove. So, I have an idea, imagine this, ten guys, each sit down and tie 50 flies of the same pattern in a day, talking rubbish and tying, just nice social tying. At the end of the day each guy get 5 flies of 10 different patterns. The idea is that each tyer ties what he or she is best at, and everyone present shares in this . Anyone up for this?

I was tying with my pal Gysie the other day and it was so great just tying without having to teach for a change, just tying and talking crap like I used to do when I was in High school.
    If we could get guys like Herman Botes to tie Roaches, Gary glen young to tie little nymphs, gysie to tie jigs, etc etc etc, that would be great.Any takers?

i'll be in the Cape from November through to March next year so i'll like to join a social , taliking crap, flytying outfit there too. My para RABs are not too bad.

Kind regards

Gordon
    Great idea Gordon. However I am both unable to tie 50 of the same flies in one session, nor is my tying anywhere near the standard of those esteemed members mentioned above.

Why not take it to the next level and donate the 500 flies To Mark for his development initiative ?

Se here. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...753#post238753
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I like your idea but feel that the provincial teams need to be involved in development, Imagine each competitive angler in this country tying 5 flies for development, you'd get more than 500 flies, this thing can be spearheaded by the managers of the various teams.Mind you, one can take it a step further and get every tyer in this country to tie five flies. Herman , you have the vision , you have the mission, run with it bru,I'll support you where I can and send my five flies.Use the forums and magazines as a platform.They'll help you, you have my full support.Ek het nie die tyd op die oomlik om die ding te spearhead nie maar ek is seker as almal saam werk kan die ding lekker uit werk. Korrie sal graag wil chat.

Kind regards

Gordon

Gordon,

You have got me totally unplaced.

I'm not in a position to "run with it ". It was merely a suggestion.

After 8 years on this forum, and seeing many, many experienced people "duck", and the names are too many to mention, I thought I would give the NEW BRIGADE a chance.

After all I'm am a " Newby" considering the experience that has been here before me.

Good luck with your initiative.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Guy I'm serious, you don't need to be anyone 'special' to do great things.We're all just mal guys who dig fishing with feathers. Run with your idea, as for being a newbie, so am I,don't let that stop you bru. I'll will be the first to give you my flies. I am running with tying initiatives all over the country , I've done about 8 this year, the majority of those for free,and it pleases me that the rhino fly initiative is going well . I am doing it. You've been on this forum for 8 years, don't wait for the so called names to make things happen, jump in bru. I'll support you where I can, I'm serious!! DO it Herman, because you can. I like your plan but I've got too much on my plate but I will support you wherevr I can.

Kind regards

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post

Kind regards

Gordon
    I am in, happy to tie CDC Midge, Mayfly or CDC&Elk or anything else. You coming down to work for a couple of months Gordon?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi Darryl, perfect, I'll be in the cape from November through to March next year so we'll have plenty of time to tie. Will like to tie and talk *** with you,

Keep well bru

G

I'm keen. If I am around and can attend I can do bumbles, soft hackles, dabblers and that kind of thing. Not sure I would manage 50 winged wets in a day (or 15 for that matter).
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Im in for 50 in a day. Ill do brassies!

JJ, I am keen though - pattern to be confirmed.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast