Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Culinary delights at the riverbank

Nepp - that sandwhich sounds fantastic! I am definately gonna try it!

I also make lots of rolls (Usually 6 or 8) and offer them to the person I am fishing with.

A nice Apple, Peach, Pear is also enjoyable on the river.

German mustard: Have you tried the wholegrain mustards from the German Butchery in Gardens centre? They are my absolute favourite!

You should see my fridge though - there's more mustards than anything else!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

German mustard: Have you tried the wholegrain mustards from the German Butchery in Gardens centre? They are my absolute favourite!

You should see my fridge though - there's more mustards than anything else!

Thats where I get mine!!! Raithe(sp?) I believe its called! Less than R15 for a mini "tankard" of Mustard, double the size of any other mustard jar.... Man I love that store...... If I could eat there everyday, I would!!! To me, Mustrad is the King of Relishes, followed ever so closely by Tobasco!!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I have no idea what they are called Nepp. They have a green snap on lid and the writing is in German.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I thikn I might just pop over to Gardens in a bit to buy myself some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    I consider myself something of a snadwich fanatic ( Basically if I could, I'd stick every meal between two slices of bread!!! )

Mine are fairly complex sandwiches, so I'd have to carry a whole extra bag to prep them on the river....I make them before, but have a particular way of making them so nothing gets soggy.

Here goes:

Slice of fresh Bread, thick sliced.
    Good dollop of German Mustard
    Healthy portion of German Salami
    Thinly sliced Tomato
    Sliced Lemon and Pepper Chicken Breast
    Grated cheddar
    Baby Spinach
    Slice of fresh Bread, thick Sliced

I make at least 4 of these ( I usually make lunch for whoever I'm fishing with. Neal take note!!! )

In that order of preparation, they stay just perfect for nearly 24 hours and at around 11 or 12 on a fishing morning, I can tell you few things taste better!!

I also make at least one sweet one with a nice home made fig jam, or something similar

Add to that a muesli bar or two, a naartjie or 3, some fresh coffee in two flasks ( small one for the river, and a bigger one left in the truck ) A hydration pack filled with Naartjie game and a bag of biltong....... Even if you don't see a gfish all day, you'll at least come home satisfied!!
    Let me know when next you are looking for a 'fishing' partner mate! I'll carry the padkos!

I'm a poor sod. I usually pluck a couple of berries along the path and drink from the stream

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I'm a poor sod. I usually pluck a couple of berries along the path and drink from the stream
    I'm not sure we even get any edible berries, let alone being able to drink from the Vaal
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Must say most of my fluids come from the streams as well

Nothing better then a couple chicken mayo sammies and a chocolate or two. Just what the doctor ordered
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Must say most of my fluids come from the streams as well

Nothing better then a couple chicken mayo sammies and a chocolate or two. Just what the doctor ordered
    The way we did it way back was to suck on the odd barley sweet during the day, sip water periodically from the stream, grab a wholewheat sandwich with salami on it for lunch and then the day would be concluded with a trout wrapped in tin foil and cooked just off the coals.

I am usually in too much of a hurry in the morning so it’s Engen Pies (Pepper Streak) and Energade

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast