Thread: Interesting read

Default Interesting read

http://www.manictackleproject.com/fr...-of-a-classic/

Some of it you might know, so maybe not, Maybe all of it, you might know
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I knew there was a big difference, but did not realize, it was SOOOO much
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Those are free-fall readings though. So many other influences in the river with tippet attached. But yes, massive difference in FREE-fall.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Those are free-fall readings though. So many other influences in the river with tippet attached. But yes, massive difference in FREE-fall.
    Agree, but if you use the same tippet, size of fly etc on the lead and the tungsten, under the same river flow, the results should be fairly similar or the, proportionally.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Agree, but if you use the same tippet, size of fly etc on the lead and the tungsten, under the same river flow, the results should be fairly similar or the, proportionally.
    Despite technique?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Anyway, yes, the difference is something to take note of, regardless.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Despite technique?
    If you use the same technique on all, with all factors the same, the result should technically be the same.
    very close.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    If you use the same technique on all, with all factors the same, the result should technically be the same.
    very close.
    My point is Korrie, that in free fall it is measurable, but in real fishing not so much. It is just too variable imho. Technique can make the faster sinking fly in free fall sink much slower than the slower sinking fly in free fall and the other way around.

It's still pretty interesting to see that 0.2g added to a fly in free fall has a difference of 1m added to the sinkrate over 3 seconds. I would not have guess that at all.
    Mario Geldenhuys

If you apply the same rules, on the same weight, etc, the results should be very similar.
    If you apply the same technique, on the same size/weights, the results should be very similar if not exactly the same.
    Korrie Broos

In Europe, more and more, "jig flies" are tied on normal dry fly hooks, where the section close to the eye have been slightly bent, inwards.

a couple of reasons.
    a. less of the tungsten is machined away, which would make space for the slot of the traditional jig hook. so the bead is heavier
    b. normal tungsten beads are cheaper than slotted tungsten beads.
    c. you can tie a thinner profile on a dry fly hook, which will sink faster.
    d. dry fly hooks are marginally cheaper than jig hooks.

If you can get an extra 20 to 30cm longer drift in water per day, per cast, you flies are a hell of long time extra in the water, covering a huge piece of extra fishing water, potentially catching a couple of more fish.
    Korrie Broos