Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inexperienced Fly Fisherman

mark Banned User

Why don't you try using a micro ring instead of loop to loop, it will still be easy to change tippet. I sometimes use them when catching yellows and I have never broken one before.

Read this thread, all discussed about knots, tippets etc.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...992#post234992
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I hear you. however, a loop to line connection isn't ideal. not neccessarilly from a strength viewpoint, but at some stage you are going to need to retrieve leader into the rod tip, and with a fish on the other end, you need the smallest smoothest knot possible. A loop to loop on the fly line to leader is certainly not a small smooth knot. The loop to loop is a reasonably good connection generally, but when it comes to tippet connections, even less ideal. Remember that the loops are not joined, so leader hinging can result in the cast. Always best to have a knot that performs like a single strand of line. With these trout stocked venues (I deduce that Brookwood is one of these) you really don't need to go fancy, unless you are trying things out and practicing new techniques.
    There used to be a book, called "the little red knot book" brilliant for learning knots and when to use them. If you can find one, get it, but I haven't seen it around for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Just to clarify, my leader is attached with a loop-to-loop connection with my flyline but that held up fine, it was the extra tippet I attached to the leader which sheared off. I use the loop-to-loop connection because its easy to attached extra tippet when it gets short and to adjust the length of the leader and from hearing advise from someone who knows a lot about stillwater fly fishing that is a good setup.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If your loops are good i cant believe that a loop to loop connection causes problems. I fished that SLN rig where you use loop to loop connections throughout the rig (mine had 4 but not between fly line and leader) and i do not recall one breaking on any yellowfish i used it for. I also use loop to loop in my leaders for tigerfishing, and no problem the either.

Taylor i do it all the time when we fish together, between leadr and tippet, and i have no problems with snapping. What i think is more imporant is what you mentioned about the reel and how smooth the startup inertia is. It sounds like that is when tne line parted. The reel probably jerked as the fish ran, causing the tippet to take all the pressure.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

Taylor i do it all the time when we fish together, between leadr and tippet, and i have no problems with snapping. What i think is more imporant is what you mentioned about the reel and how smooth the startup inertia is. It sounds like that is when tne line parted. The reel probably jerked as the fish ran, causing the tippet to take all the pressure.
    Agreed, no issue with it (loop connection) snapping I just prefer using a surgeons. I also think a lot of people lose fish when trying to get them onto the reel, if the fish is big enough it will get itself onto the reel
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    I dont think its a case of thin tippet.....best to preset ur drag and if you feel you need to apply more pressure then palm the spool.Until you are comforatble adjusting drag settings during a fight...hope you get the next one
    The first time the drag was running for about 30 seconds and I could only think the thin 3kg tippet got broken what i imagine was on the teeth.
    The second time I got a knot and while trying to undo it I dropped the point of the rod and got broken again.
    Now when I target garrick and larger predatory fish I am using 20 -25 pound leaders.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

I figured it out!!!

I had done the loop-to-loop connection wrong instead of a square knot looking loop I had done a cutting loop.
    Well I had returned recently to Brookwood Trout Estate and redeemed myself with 7 fish, all of which were a good size with a few large fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Be honest now, you didn't have any cash in your wallet did you?

I spoke to a guy at Kloofzicht on Friday who recently had to fork out R900 for the fish (plural) he caught at Brookwood. I think it's the first time I ever heard a guy complaining that the fish he caught were too big.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2