Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying- new flies, new ideas, What flies?

I still wonder how effective these "new" patterns are.I iknow it also helps the sport progress in a sense that it brings change or whatever.I still think it is mostly that guys have a bad day or two on the water then think its maybe the fly and start designing something new.When they go out again it catches fish and they believe its the fly not conditions or technique.

Maybe I should see if i can get hold of different colour pellets and see if my yellows are drawn to a specific colour.That would help a lot knowing they actually do see colour and could be focused on it specifically,especially in their natural habitat.

As for the original question,my choice is usually one of what i think will work in the situation.FAst flow,heavier fly,clear river,more natural etc.I dont have much variety i.t.o. patterns but more colour and size so it just makes choosing a bit easier

the different color pellets might be a super idea.
    You can even use food coloring to create different color pellets. maybe the easiest way.

as for a new fly pattern.
    Every now and again, there is a new pattern that makes a huge difference when it comes to catch fish.
    But a new, good and effective pattern will be useless, if fished wrong.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

test post having some problems
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

A sad state of affairs.
    55 forumers read this thread.
    The majority of the 55 ties flies, if not all, but only 7 makes an effort to reply.
    Thanks to those who did find some time to reply.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I get inspiration from all over: The Flytying group MC chatted about, Facebook, I take pics of guys fly boxes (Pascal and Said have more flies in their box than I could every hope to tie!), I do random Google searches and go through pages and pages of pics, multiple pages like Danica, Grayling Hunter, Iain Barrs Shop, Troutline bla bla bla. And then I just try and improve current patterns with colours, movement and other triggers.

I dont think you need billions of different patterns in your box, I just like to tie so the add up!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

That's a fair reprimand, Korrie. So let me add my 2c.

I pick up almost all of my fly tying info off the web - the likes of Dron Lee & Davie McPhail being two I follow closely. I'll mostly just Google a pattern type on Youtube. I haven't looked hard at the other European sites & patterns you mention but certainly will.

Incidentally, the coloured pellet thing was tried on trout in the USA - they found blue to be the colour preferred over any other. I think I picked that up from something Ed Herbst wrote some time back. I'll love to hear if this holds for yellowfish are well.
    Mike Mitchley

Its very interesting about trout and blue as i read a study on catfish breeding and behaviour and blue was also their favoured colour followed by red.
    Quite funny in that the last 2 years I have tied up blue/black nymphs for the vaal and they are deadly.
    I am definately gonna try the colour test on the yellows at home

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A sad state of affairs.
    55 forumers read this thread.
    The majority of the 55 ties flies, if not all, but only 7 makes an effort to reply.
    Thanks to those who did find some time to reply.
    Possibly the state of the hacked forum for a while there.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

My take on tying and what to tie is simple and follows no real pattern or style. I look at a variety of sites, books, people's flies, and most importantly, when the chance presents itself chat about actual fly design to a lot of people (chatrooms, mail, facebook). All of this is then used to come up with something that makes sense to me personally. I copy very few patterns as is, but there are some that don't need changing (DHE, GRHE, ZAK, RAB, F-Fly etc).
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I definitely think the hack has contributed as this is the first time I've been able to make sense of the pages. I get most of my ideas from chatting to people, looking what their fly boxes consist of and like most guys say, there's a small tweak here and there a bit of flash perhaps on tried and tested patterns. No use in re-inventing the wheel. I also love tying so am always busy tying. My friends benefit big time as I always give them flies.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast