View Poll Results: Which are the key triggers

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Correct Basic Shape (to immitate naturals)

2 8.00%
  • Correct Basic Size (to immitate naturals)

0 0%
  • Suggestions of Movement (Marabou, Zonker, Chenile)

18 72.00%
  • Presence of Eyes (Yellow/Red/Holographic)

1 4.00%
  • Hot Areas (Gills, 'wounds', etc)

1 4.00%
  • General Non Descriptness (ie : it doesn't really match anything, but matches everything)

2 8.00%
  • Being as close as possible in all aspects to the natural

0 0%
  • Attraction (As much flash, tinsel, flashabou as possible)

1 4.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Streamers : What are the main triggers ?

I hear all that everyone is saying.

My feelings about this matter is....

- A large selection of colour
    - A good selection of different sizes (hook) of a pattern
    - A dimensional than a monotonies presentation
    - A understanding of your combination (2 flies or 3)
    - A knowledge of the aria you are fishing

All the above elements are important to me, and will make for a successfully day. 60% of the poll ideas a important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    By saying "retrieve", you guys are basically saying that movement is the key. Whether it be induced by the fisherman or the fly it still comes down to movement.
    That's basically where I'm at, Grant. When I'm tying streamers, my first consideration is what kind of movement I want the fly to make. Out on the water, the retrieve becomes the most important consideration. Having decided what kind of movement my fly must make, and incorporating the proper materials to achieve this, it's my job to make it do that in the water. If my initial idea doesn't work out, it's not neccessarily the fly that needs changing, but the retrieve. Am I costing myself fish by thinking this way? If I prefer trying to make a fly work to finding the fly that works..?

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    That's basically where I'm at, Grant. When I'm tying streamers, my first consideration is what kind of movement I want the fly to make. Out on the water, the retrieve becomes the most important consideration. Having decided what kind of movement my fly must make, and incorporating the proper materials to achieve this, it's my job to make it do that in the water. If my initial idea doesn't work out, it's not neccessarily the fly that needs changing, but the retrieve. Am I costing myself fish by thinking this way? If I prefer trying to make a fly work to finding the fly that works..?
    Thats what ment by A dimensional than a monotonies presentation that is what makes the diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    the place you speak of is indeed the one I refer to. Sherbert, that Kleinplaasie sure was good in its day, but it sure had its moments.....and that day was one of them.
    Is Kleinplasie the dam in the reserve, or the hatchery? I was fishing at the hatchery. I still find trout fishing in a big dam or small stream a bit scary. Not a hell of a lot of trout around George to practice on. Mostly limited to bass ITO freshwater fish within a quick drive's distance, still dreaming of getting good at catching other species..

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Thats what ment by A dimensional than a monotonies presentation that is what makes the diff.
    Amen say I. Thanks!

Movement of fly due to material selection, is quite big on my list, then colour plays a big role, and then the point of non-descript one fly that presents nothing yet everything also helps, then you add the retrieve. Flash, or attraction ability should always be an consideration in all flies, and also other key triggers like eyes, tails/no tails, hot spots, gills, body form, segmentation, proportion.

So why does the black wooly bugger produce? It is presenting nothing yet probably something in the water, colour is dark therefore visible in most conditions on all kinds of water, movement is in the tail and if you use the correct hackle fiber the hackle, other triggers a bit of flash in tial maybe, bead head is a trigger as well as weighting, general profile (nice tasty sizable morsel) - then retrieve, try all kinds of retrieve and you'll probably find one that works

[QUOTE=pieterkriel;25346
    So why does the black wooly bugger produce? [/QUOTE]

It's a nice big mouthful with enough hackle movement to interest any hungry trout
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3