Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Float tubes now obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Kevin
    Price is R7500

Adrian
    You land the fish next to you, I had no problems with that issue.

Andre
    Will have one at the Lakenvlei work party to try out, otherwise there is my swimming pool.
    It is Matthew not Kevin :wink:
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

What about having the line tray made out of mesh rather than having the draining holes and then, as Korrie suggested, with measurements printed onto it?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    What about having the line tray made out of mesh rather than having the draining holes and then, as Korrie suggested, with measurements printed onto it?
    What that will also allow you to do is have pvc poles across the front and back of the tray, similar to the way it is done on v-boats. Will prevent the fly line from falling between your legs!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I think with all these extras we talking about, we getting closer and closer to the V-boat. Wouldn't it be better to simply put oar locks on a V-boat. Im starting to lose sight of the advantages of this boat. I think if one wants all the added extras that the V-boat has, then this boat probably isn't the ideal option, but for a good compromise, it just might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    What that will also allow you to do is have pvc poles across the front and back of the tray, similar to the way it is done on v-boats. Will prevent the fly line from falling between your legs!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think with all these extras we talking about, we getting closer and closer to the V-boat. Wouldn't it be better to simply put oar locks on a V-boat. Im starting to lose sight of the advantages of this boat. I think if one wants all the added extras that the V-boat has, then this boat probably isn't the ideal option, but for a good compromise, it just might be.
    I suppose the question is, are you willing to spend R7500 on a good compromise?

It all depends on what you find most valuable in a tube/drift boat, for me having line control is really important. I can compromise by having my tackle behind me and buying a rod holder! I think I need to have a look in person to get a good idea if it will work for me, love the idea though!

I can only imagine how ridiculous this would be.

One of the major problems V-boats have, especially for big guys is that the front sinks down and adds resistance to forward movement. On this craft, it has nice 'kick' at the front, keeping it out the water and preventing water coming over in a chop.
    This is not a compromise on a Croc or Fishduc, its an improvement on the float tube.

It is also an improvement on the pontoon style craft, as it is smaller, lighter and doesnt need to be assembled.
    It also has a lower profile so you arent pushed by the wind like a pontoon craft.
    The price is also the same as a pontoon craft.

Regards
    Craig

Matthew
    I used the line tray as is, it is big, with plenty of space for your line, which doesnt slide around. You can have it with holes, but I found it uneccessary, as with the velcro on the sides you can adjust the 'fall' in any direction, I made mine to the front and never had any water issues.
    A mesh tray would also add disproportionately to the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Regards
    Craig

For certain lines, I want a bit of water on the line.
    In my croc, my stipping tray, holds 1cm of water, the slime lines and di5 and 7 cast much better when wet and tangles a lot less.
    if you have problems with those lines tangling, try a bit of water, makes casting much easier.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

How do you go forward in a V-boat? you can only go forward if you are paddling, but oar rowing takes you backwards. I am just over 100kg, and my v-boat and the front doesn't sink down, but I have never tried to go forwards with it. I don't think its possible to go forwards without paddles, certainly cant with flippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    I can only imagine how ridiculous this would be.

One of the major problems V-boats have, especially for big guys is that the front sinks down and adds resistance to forward movement. On this craft, it has nice 'kick' at the front, keeping it out the water and preventing water coming over in a chop.
    This is not a compromise on a Croc or Fishduc, its an improvement on the float tube.

It is also an improvement on the pontoon style craft, as it is smaller, lighter and doesnt need to be assembled.
    It also has a lower profile so you arent pushed by the wind like a pontoon craft.
    The price is also the same as a pontoon craft.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

How do you go forward in a V-boat?
    I reckon after a couple Brandy's you can go pretty much which ever direction you wish?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast